From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 09-10-2012
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 09:02:46
1 On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 3 Oct 2012, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 15:13 Thu 27 Sep , Brian Harring wrote:
5 >>> What for? So someone can name their package foo-1? Is that really
6 >>> such a major gap we're willing to induce breakage?
7 >>>
8 >>> Will anyone even !@#*ing use a package names foo-1? I've yet to see
9 >>> an example given, just ignoring of the breakage it will induce.
10 >
11 >> I tend to agree. What value does this provide? It creates additional
12 >> work for no proven real-world benefit.
13 >
14 > As I said before, the point is that the PMS isn't consequent, and
15 > that there is a discrepancy between Portage and the PMS. Portage
16 > is stricter because it also forbids package names like foo-1a or
17 > foo-1_alpha that could be confused with a package name followed by
18 > a version.
19 >
20 > (Something along the lines of "a hyphen followed by a digit must not
21 > occur anywhere in a package name" would be even simpler. We cannot
22 > do that because there are packages like font-adobe-100dpi that don't
23 > conform with it.)
24 >
25 > Ulrich
28 This doesn't seem that difficult. How about "$PN must not end in a
29 hyphen followed by 1 or more digits"?