From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2021-07-11 - call for agenda items
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 17:44:15
1 On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 12:57 PM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Revised suggestion taking into account your concern as well as the
4 > separate thread that contributors without @gentoo.org addresses should
5 > be recognized:
6 > ===
7 > key:
8 > name of contributor and/or their associated unique email address
9 > (emails should not be duplicated in the keys)
10 > value:
11 > a list of entities who may own the copyright to parts of commits
12 > the developer has made
13
14 I still don't like the idea of making this association, because
15 somebody might want to commit some entity's code without being
16 memorialized as the person who did a commit for associated with some
17 organization that they might have serious ethical concerns with.
18
19 For example, I might borrow code from a company that manufactures
20 cigarettes, weapons, is political in nature, or which otherwise is
21 controversial. I have no association with the organization. The code
22 just happens to have been written by them, and for some reason I need
23 to use it.
24
25 So, if this change is made, developers are now stuck with having to
26 choose between having their name go into this file next to the
27 organization they want no association with, or not using the code
28 (which might benefit users in some way - eg security patches/etc).
29 There is no organizational need to make these associations, so why do
30 it?
31
32 However, your change does address my concern with not having some way
33 to include organizations in the AUTHORS file when they do not employ
34 the Gentoo developer making the commit.
35
36 In the case of developers who wish to list their own names in the
37 file, presumably they can just list their name as both the key and
38 value.
41 Rich