From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Is an umbrella organization a good choice for Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 21:13:19
1 On Wed, 2020-08-26 at 13:27 -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 20-08-26 21:23:41, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
3 > > https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2020/08/25/is-an-umbrella-organization-a-good-choice-for-gentoo/
4 > >
5 > > While I'm not the author, I think it's an excellent writeup.
8 > Yep, looked good. The one thing I'd like to see it compared to is
9 > re-incororation as a non-profit (which may be a requirement to be
10 > absorbed under an umbrella org anyway).
11
12 There are a few details I've established in the linked post. However,
13 I don't think anyone has done a detailed research on this option.
14
15 To recap:
16
17 1. We need to do some work to apply for this status, and there's no
18 guarantee we'll be approved.
19
20 2. There is a running theory that enabling US citizens to deduce
21 donations from taxes will increase donations. No clue how much we can
22 actually count on that, though, and how many % of current donors live
23 in the USA.
24
25 3. As a non-profit, we'll be able to save some on taxes.
26
27 4. However, we're going to pay more for CPA services. I don't know how
28 much we'll actually save if we consider this.
29
30 5. We're still going to be stuck with the current reliability problems,
31 and running a non-profit will require more work and cause more
32 responsibility. I mean, just logically speaking, you get a whole new
33 area of potential mistakes.
34
35 In my opinion, it's not worth the effort. It is unlikely to solve any
36 of the existing problems, it may not work at all and it will certainly
37 make things even harder considering we're understaffed.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny