From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Is an umbrella organization a good choice for Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 21:34:15
1 On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 5:13 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > 2. There is a running theory that enabling US citizens to deduce
4 > donations from taxes will increase donations. No clue how much we can
5 > actually count on that, though, and how many % of current donors live
6 > in the USA.
7
8 After the last round of tax changes I think this is pretty unlikely.
9 95% of Americans can't deduct any charitable donations now - or rather
10 they can deduct them whether they actually make them or not, so there
11 is no incentive to make them.
12
13 That said, being 501c3 does potentially open you up to receiving
14 support from other 501c3s. I'm not sure how much we need this, unless
15 it is for all the accounting work we'd probably need to be a 501c3 in
16 the first place.
17
18 You can argue that it makes you more accountable for what you're
19 doing. However, this of course entails a LOT more paperwork, and I'm
20 sure it would only take everybody 10min to find an example of somebody
21 famous abusing a foundation for personal gain...
24 Rich
28 Rich