From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Proposed Revisions to QA GLEP-48
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 18:02:57
1 On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > If there is a technical disagreement between a developer and QA and the
4 > QA lead is confirmed by the council, that puts the council in a very
5 > awquard position for an appeal. The council would either have to back
6 > the QA lead, who they have confirmed, or back the developer who is
7 > appealing. If the council backs the QA lead, the appeals process is
8 > pointless, but if they back the developer, it makes their confirmation
9 > of the qa lead questionable.
10
11 I don't buy this line of argument at all. In virtually every
12 organization I'm aware of (corporations, non-profits, governments,
13 courts, etc) the people at the top are elected, and anybody below them
14 derives their authority from those at the top. That makes everybody
15 accountable to the voters/shareholders/owners/whatever.
16
17 In virtually every organization I'm aware of, appeals are almost
18 always rejected. That is true of courts, going over your boss's head,
19 etc. That doesn't mean that there is no route of appeal - only that
20 the courts at the bottom do their job correctly because they are
21 accountable to the ones above them.
22
23 Rich