From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-05-14
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 15:19:01
1 I'd like to get the Council's opinion on having FEATURES=preserve-libs
2 enabled by default in stable portage. About 6 months ago I mentioned on
3 my blog [1] that I might consider enabling it by default after
4 slot-operators and sub-slots became widely adopted. We seem to be
5 reaching a satisfactory level of adoption now.
6
7 I know that this feature has been questioned by some, especially by
8 people involved with Paludis (which doesn't implement preserve-libs). I
9 think that the main compliant is that preserve-libs doesn't preserve any
10 non-library dependencies (such as configuration files) that a library
11 may depend on.
12
13 [1]
14 http://blogs.gentoo.org/zmedico/2012/09/21/preserve-libs-available-in-portage-2-1/