From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:20:54
1 On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
4 > On Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 10:56 CST, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 > > I suspect one problem might be:
8 > >
9 > > 1) Most developers are not interested in Foundation affairs.
10 > > 2) The Foundation is often minimally staffed with enough members (to
11 > vote)
12 > > and trustees (to run the foundation legally.)
13 > > 3) In the past, the Foundation failed to renew its New Mexico filing
14 > (which
15 > > was fixed later.)
16 > > 4) The status of the Foundation with regards to the US tax organ (the
17 > IRS)
18 > > is decidedly unclear at this time (but its being worked on.)
19 > >
20 > > So there is some concern that the Foundation is not being run well in the
21 > > current system. Keeping the current system is worrisome (as a current
22 > > trustee, I certainly worry about it!) This is one reason why I think the
23 > > status quo is a bad idea.
24 >
25 > But if *that* is the problem, it would be the logical step to disband
26 > the Foundation and simply transfer assets to SPI [1,2], which is done
27 > quite successfully by a number of important open source projects
28 > including Linux distributions Arch and Debian.
31 It might be a logical step (I'm unconvinced it is the *only* logical step.)
32 Hence this whole thread, no? :)
33
34 -A
38 > Best,