From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:06:21
1 On Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 10:56 CST, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > I suspect one problem might be:
4 >
5 > 1) Most developers are not interested in Foundation affairs.
6 > 2) The Foundation is often minimally staffed with enough members (to vote)
7 > and trustees (to run the foundation legally.)
8 > 3) In the past, the Foundation failed to renew its New Mexico filing (which
9 > was fixed later.)
10 > 4) The status of the Foundation with regards to the US tax organ (the IRS)
11 > is decidedly unclear at this time (but its being worked on.)
12 >
13 > So there is some concern that the Foundation is not being run well in the
14 > current system. Keeping the current system is worrisome (as a current
15 > trustee, I certainly worry about it!) This is one reason why I think the
16 > status quo is a bad idea.
17
18 But if *that* is the problem, it would be the logical step to disband
19 the Foundation and simply transfer assets to SPI [1,2], which is done
20 quite successfully by a number of important open source projects
21 including Linux distributions Arch and Debian.
22
23 Best,
24 Matthias
25