From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 16:56:47
1 On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > What about you have a closer look at for example the Debian project [1]?
4 >
5 > There, the project and its developer community is not organized in any
6 > legal entity.
7 >
8 > All business that requires a legal entity is organized via *mutliple*
9 > foundations [2,3] - none of which have any power over the project
10 > itself.
11 >
12 > This is exactly the model we have at the moment.
13 >
14 > So what on earth is the problem?
17 I suspect one problem might be:
18
19 1) Most developers are not interested in Foundation affairs.
20 2) The Foundation is often minimally staffed with enough members (to vote)
21 and trustees (to run the foundation legally.)
22 3) In the past, the Foundation failed to renew its New Mexico filing (which
23 was fixed later.)
24 4) The status of the Foundation with regards to the US tax organ (the IRS)
25 is decidedly unclear at this time (but its being worked on.)
26
27 So there is some concern that the Foundation is not being run well in the
28 current system. Keeping the current system is worrisome (as a current
29 trustee, I certainly worry about it!) This is one reason why I think the
30 status quo is a bad idea.
31
32 -A
37 > Best,