From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:55:40
1 On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 08:56:44 -0800
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > What about you have a closer look at for example the Debian project [1]?
7 > >
8 > > There, the project and its developer community is not organized in any
9 > > legal entity.
10 > >
11 > > All business that requires a legal entity is organized via *mutliple*
12 > > foundations [2,3] - none of which have any power over the project
13 > > itself.
14 > >
15 > > This is exactly the model we have at the moment.
16 > >
17 > > So what on earth is the problem?
20 > I suspect one problem might be:
21 >
22 > 1) Most developers are not interested in Foundation affairs.
23 > 2) The Foundation is often minimally staffed with enough members (to vote)
24 > and trustees (to run the foundation legally.)
25 > 3) In the past, the Foundation failed to renew its New Mexico filing (which
26 > was fixed later.)
27 > 4) The status of the Foundation with regards to the US tax organ (the IRS)
28 > is decidedly unclear at this time (but its being worked on.)
29 >
30 > So there is some concern that the Foundation is not being run well in the
31 > current system. Keeping the current system is worrisome (as a current
32 > trustee, I certainly worry about it!) This is one reason why I think the
33 > status quo is a bad idea.
34
35 Thanks for clarifying. This brings the next question: how does adding
36 more functions (== work) to Trustees improve the state of affairs they
37 can't handle already?
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny
42 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>