From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: GLEP 76
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 04:48:37
1 On 06/28/19 08:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 7:49 AM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I never stated that the trustees will know better, I stated that
5 >> their knowledge of what we assume to be real names will be
6 >> sufficient and there is no need for all developers to know them.
7 >> This is because the trustees are responsible for legal issues of
8 >> Gentoo.
9 >>
10 >> With such approach we lose nothing, but gain something valuable: we
11 >> may and will accept more people and more contributions.
12 >
13 > IMO you lose a professional atmosphere. I think there is a difference
14 > in atmosphere when you have Andrew and Rich and MichaƂ having a
15 > discussion, versus codebozo and leetcoder and trollmaster. (Just
16 > making up random handles - no correspondence implied.)
17 >
18 What you describe as, in effect, a dehumamizing interface, others
19 perceive as a way to keep minimize their social exposure. Where you find
20 some ill-defined negative, others find a distinct positive. Is Gentoo
21 really in a position where it can turn away demonstrably skilled
22 contributors based solely on their wanting to minimize personal exposure?
23
24 > I mean, which would you prefer to have on your linkedin network?
25 >
26 Maybe, just maybe, people who have no interest in publishing their
27 involvement with a project have no interest in publishing their
28 involvement with a project's members. Which leads me to the radical leap
29 of logic that they probably wouldn't be making such associations known
30 on a social networking site, and if they would at some point want to do
31 so, they would likely make their involvement itself public.
32
33 > Many FOSS projects require the use of real names, including Linux.
34 >
35 "Other people do it" is not exactly a great logical argument, given that
36 precisely the same argument could be used to justify doing literally
37 anything that anyone else has done.