From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: GLEP 76
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 12:09:43
1 On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 7:49 AM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I never stated that the trustees will know better, I stated that
4 > their knowledge of what we assume to be real names will be
5 > sufficient and there is no need for all developers to know them.
6 > This is because the trustees are responsible for legal issues of
7 > Gentoo.
8 >
9 > With such approach we lose nothing, but gain something valuable: we
10 > may and will accept more people and more contributions.
11
12 IMO you lose a professional atmosphere. I think there is a difference
13 in atmosphere when you have Andrew and Rich and MichaƂ having a
14 discussion, versus codebozo and leetcoder and trollmaster. (Just
15 making up random handles - no correspondence implied.)
16
17 I mean, which would you prefer to have on your linkedin network?
18
19 Many FOSS projects require the use of real names, including Linux.
22 Rich