From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: GLEP 76
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 11:49:34
1 Hi all!
2
3 On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 08:15:07 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
4 > On Tue, 2019-06-25 at 01:18 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 [...]
6 > > Since I've accepted the nomination, it's my turn to answer as well.
7 > >
8 > > I'll tell you frankly that GLEP 76 was the main motivation for me
9 > > to accept the nomination. I consider it — in the way it exists now —
10 > > harmful and in need to be fixed. This is how free software works:
11 > > if something is broken and nobody repairs it, go and fix it
12 > > yourself.
13 > >
14 > > What is wrong with GLEP 76? It kicks some active contributors and
15 > > rejects some of new ones. No, it is not just one developer
16 > > affected as someone may assume. We have external contributors
17 > > kicked out, we have at least one high quality maintainer who worked
18 > > on quizzes, but this work was stopped due to hostility to and
19 > > further ban on anonymous contributions.
20 > >
21 > > I believe that for free software development privacy concern is of
22 > > paramount importance, especially when we are dealing with security
23 > > or privacy oriented software.
24 > >
25 > > One may argue that ban on anonymous contributions was to protect
26 > > Gentoo from possible copyright claims in the future. But does it
27 > > really gives us such protection? In my opinion NO, because:
28 > >
29 > > 1. GLEP 76 was prepared without legal expertise from experts in
30 > > this field. (At least such expertise was not published.) Hereby we
31 > > have no evidence that it will work if real case will be opened.
32 > >
33 > > 2. No law or legal precedent was provided to prove that GLEP 76
34 > > will be useful in alleged case or that we have a legal requirement
35 > > to put such restrictive demand on our contributors.
36 >
37 > What 'legal expertise', 'law' or 'legal precedent' do you have to say
38 > otherwise? It's easy to blame others when all you have is your private
39 > opinion.
40
41 This is not blaming, this not how the law works: everything which
42 is not denied is allowed, everything which is not required is not
43 mandatory. Of course this applies to full set of laws: from federal
44 to local level and legal precendents.
45
46 So, at least for my knowledge, Gentoo Foundation is not forbidden
47 by the law to require real name signatures, but is neither obliged
48 to do so.
49
50 > > 3. We objectively have no means to verify developer's credentials.
51 > > Current approach is based on realistic-like approach: if someone
52 > > names themselve "John Doe" we accept it, if someone names as
53 > > "qwerty123" we do not recognize this as an ID. But we have no means
54 > > to verify that "John Doe" is real (natural) name. Even GnuPG Web of
55 > > Trust doesn't provide such means, because what it really provides
56 > > is a link between a person and their GnuPG key, as we're not
57 > > authorized legal entities empowered and fully informed to verify
58 > > validity of IDs present during GnuPG signing.
59 > >
60 > > So in my opinion current state of affairs is not acceptable and
61 > > must be amended. What I propose to do:
62 > >
63 > > 1. To mitigate current crisis we should allow developers to commit
64 > > under any unique non-offensive id (text string) as long as the
65 > > trustees know how it maps to a real name.
66 > >
67 > > The rationale is that the trustees are the legal body to handle all
68 > > legal issues of Gentoo, so even if we agree that real names are
69 > > mandatory, there is no practical legal need for anyone outside of
70 > > trustees to know them. This way we can include people who agree to
71 > > keep their privacy from anyone except trustees and in the same way
72 > > this will keep the legal effect of GLEP 76 intact.
75 > How are Trustees supposed to know whether the 'real name' is actually a
76 > real natural name? You just said it is apparently impossible to verify.
77
78 Please read carefully my original e-mail and do not twist my words.
79
80 I never stated that the trustees will know better, I stated that
81 their knowledge of what we assume to be real names will be
82 sufficient and there is no need for all developers to know them.
83 This is because the trustees are responsible for legal issues of
84 Gentoo.
85
86 With such approach we lose nothing, but gain something valuable: we
87 may and will accept more people and more contributions.
88
89 Best regards,
90 Andrew Savchenko