From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: GLEP 76
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 06:15:15
1 On Tue, 2019-06-25 at 01:18 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > Hi all!
3 >
4 > On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 12:49:33 +0300 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 12:42:20 +0300 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
6 > > > Hi all!
7 > > >
8 > > > Last year we had a good initiative: it addition to (or even instead
9 > > > of) manifests nominees were asked questions by voters. So let's
10 > > > continue this year.
11 > > >
12 > > > I propose to have one question per thread spawned by this e-mail to
13 > > > keep discussion focused. If you have multiple questions, please
14 > > > start multiple threads. If your question was already asked, please
15 > > > join a thread.
16 > > >
17 > > > I'll ask my questions in subsequent e-mails.
18 > >
19 > > In my opinion GLEP 76 is the most controversial decision made by
20 > > running council. While it fixed some long standing issues like
21 > > copyright headers and proper acknowledgement of out of the tree
22 > > contributors, it created grave problems: now some long-time
23 > > contributors and even developer are seriously discriminated because
24 > > they want to keep their privacy.
25 > >
26 > > What is your opinion on this problem?
27 > > Should GLEP 76 be left as is?
28 > > Should GLEP 76 be cancelled?
29 > > Should GLEP 76 be improved and how?
30 >
31 > Since I've accepted the nomination, it's my turn to answer as well.
32 >
33 > I'll tell you frankly that GLEP 76 was the main motivation for me
34 > to accept the nomination. I consider it — in the way it exists now —
35 > harmful and in need to be fixed. This is how free software works:
36 > if something is broken and nobody repairs it, go and fix it
37 > yourself.
38 >
39 > What is wrong with GLEP 76? It kicks some active contributors and
40 > rejects some of new ones. No, it is not just one developer
41 > affected as someone may assume. We have external contributors
42 > kicked out, we have at least one high quality maintainer who worked
43 > on quizzes, but this work was stopped due to hostility to and
44 > further ban on anonymous contributions.
45 >
46 > I believe that for free software development privacy concern is of
47 > paramount importance, especially when we are dealing with security
48 > or privacy oriented software.
49 >
50 > One may argue that ban on anonymous contributions was to protect
51 > Gentoo from possible copyright claims in the future. But does it
52 > really gives us such protection? In my opinion NO, because:
53 >
54 > 1. GLEP 76 was prepared without legal expertise from experts in
55 > this field. (At least such expertise was not published.) Hereby we
56 > have no evidence that it will work if real case will be opened.
57 >
58 > 2. No law or legal precedent was provided to prove that GLEP 76
59 > will be useful in alleged case or that we have a legal requirement
60 > to put such restrictive demand on our contributors.
61
62 What 'legal expertise', 'law' or 'legal precedent' do you have to say
63 otherwise? It's easy to blame others when all you have is your private
64 opinion.
67 > 3. We objectively have no means to verify developer's credentials.
68 > Current approach is based on realistic-like approach: if someone
69 > names themselve "John Doe" we accept it, if someone names as
70 > "qwerty123" we do not recognize this as an ID. But we have no means
71 > to verify that "John Doe" is real (natural) name. Even GnuPG Web of
72 > Trust doesn't provide such means, because what it really provides
73 > is a link between a person and their GnuPG key, as we're not
74 > authorized legal entities empowered and fully informed to verify
75 > validity of IDs present during GnuPG signing.
76 >
77 > So in my opinion current state of affairs is not acceptable and
78 > must be amended. What I propose to do:
79 >
80 > 1. To mitigate current crisis we should allow developers to commit
81 > under any unique non-offensive id (text string) as long as the
82 > trustees know how it maps to a real name.
83 >
84 > The rationale is that the trustees are the legal body to handle all
85 > legal issues of Gentoo, so even if we agree that real names are
86 > mandatory, there is no practical legal need for anyone outside of
87 > trustees to know them. This way we can include people who agree to
88 > keep their privacy from anyone except trustees and in the same way
89 > this will keep the legal effect of GLEP 76 intact.
92 How are Trustees supposed to know whether the 'real name' is actually a
93 real natural name? You just said it is apparently impossible to verify.
97 Best regards,
98 Michał Górny