From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 22:27:27
1 On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 2:52 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 4:04 PM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > My personal opinion is we should have a default accepting FSF and OSI
6 > > approved free/libre licenses and require acceptance for anything else
7 > > though package.license / ACCEPT_LICENSE.
8 >
9 > From a practical standpoint is this going to block anything used on
10 > our stage3s or boot CDs needed for hardware support, such as firmware
11 > blobs/etc? I imagine most packages like this would not have
12 > FSF/OSI-approved licenses. That includes linux-firmware.
13 >
14 > I'm not sure if those are installed by default or how essential they
15 > are to actually boot/use any common hardware.
16
17 It's very common to need firmware to use wired or wireless networking.
18 I would not want to ship installation media without requisite
19 firmware.