From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 01:24:40
1 On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > The series of events makes sense if the Council has the
3 > power to compel Comrel for information or audit.
4
5 When Comrel decisions are appealed the Council gets access to all
6 information Comrel had at their disposal. The person doing the appeal
7 can present whatever information they wish. Really it would be
8 counterproductive for Comrel to not provide the full record because
9 the "defense" isn't going to be pulling its punches. If Comrel
10 doesn't present enough evidence of wrongdoing then the Council isn't
11 going to be likely to uphold the appeal.
12
13 And ultimately I think both groups need to be concerned with whether
14 attitudes have changed/etc than on the past events themselves (unless
15 they're very drastic). The issue wasn't whether something bad
16 happened so much as whether everybody involved recognizes what
17 mistakes they've made and is committed to not making them again, and
18 that they're demonstrating their ability to stick to this. When
19 somebody appeals to the Council saying that they haven't done anything
20 wrong in situation XYZ, and then the Council looks at situation XYZ
21 and sees them doing something very wrong, and Comrel communications
22 show this has been pointed out to the appellant, then there clearly is
23 an unwillingness to follow the norms of the community. If you think
24 that Comrel is off base then the solution is to stop doing the
25 questionable behavior and appeal the matter THEN, not to continue the
26 bad behavior and dare Comrel to do something about it. Nobody wants
27 to pull out the ban hammer because somebody disagrees with the rules
28 (I've pointed out a rule or two I disagree with in this thread), it is
29 only for failing to follow them.
32 > Sexual harassment is a legal matter, to be frank. We can take measures
33 > to reduce its occurrence, but I'm sure we both know that technical
34 > solutions for social problems don't really work. We can ban and remove,
35 > but a persistent harasser will make new nicks, new e-mail addresses, may
36 > publicly harass and/or stalk someone, etc. Past a certain point, the
37 > victim may need to press charges or seek other avenues of power, e.g.
38 > talk to Freenode about IRC harassment, report to the attacker's e-mail
39 > provider, etc.
40
41 While victims may have other avenues, that doesn't free us from doing
42 our part. The Trustees should have a part in defining these kinds of
43 standards, but the fact that bans can be evaded isn't a reason not to
44 have them.
45
46 If somebody commits a crime in a Walmart, Walmart might tell them
47 they're banned from entering their stores, and that if they violate
48 the ban they're trespassing. Now, six months later it would be pretty
49 easy for this person to sneak into some other Walmart on the other
50 side of the country, but if a victim of a future crime sued Walmart
51 they could still point to the ban, and the victim would probably have
52 to demonstrate that Walmart knowingly failed to enforce it.
53
54 Also, when the term "sexual harassment" tends to get used in FOSS
55 communities it is often not activity that actually meets a legal
56 standard of harassment, which often requires some kind of power
57 relationship. In any case we can still have community standards such
58 as not allowing unwanted sexual attention and other forms of
59 "harassment" even if they don't fit the legal standard, and we ought
60 to have these kinds of standards because it makes Gentoo into the sort
61 of community where decent contributors are going to want to set down
62 their roots.
65 Rich