From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 01:08:31
1 On 10/06/2016 05:54 PM, NP-Hardass wrote:
2 > On 10/06/2016 08:32 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
3 >>[snip]
4 >>
5 >> On one hand I understand the privacy angle, but if information is kept
6 >> secret by Comrel in the interest of "privacy", how would we find out
7 >> about any decisions made in poor judgment, an over-reach in power, or
8 >> merely misunderstandings?
9 > Anonymous statistics as already proposed work to show the general trend
10 > of action by ComRel, and if a person feels that they have been unjustly
11 > treated by ComRel, they have the right to appeal to ComRel and the
12 > Council. Like a court system. You appeal to the next higher level
13 > until you hit the top, if you truly believe that the decision against
14 > you was unjust. Minor ComRel incident->Full ComRel incident->Council
15 > review->(legal issues)->Trustees
16
17 Right. The statistics I think will help keep a "heartbeat monitor" on
18 the developer community and put things into perspective a bit. However,
19 the right to an appeal doesn't really tell us much. How would corruption
20 from another group be found out about? Appeal to the Council and hope
21 for the best? The series of events makes sense if the Council has the
22 power to compel Comrel for information or audit.
23 >>
24 >> [snip]
25 >> As a side note, why do we have Comrel if we're all expected to act like
26 >> adults? Adults solve problems by communicating, and having an opaque
27 >> group mediate conflicts doesn't strike me as ideal. If two people have
28 >> trouble and cannot solve it, they go their separate ways or learn to
29 >> work past their differences.
30 > And what do you do when one person decides to continue to harass
31 > another, despite another person trying to move on? You have to have
32 > some sort of mediation with a third party when things break down in bad
33 > scenarios. What are you going to do if a developer starts sexually
34 > harassing another? Are you going to expect that the person is just
35 > going to stop? And what if they don't? That's why ComRel exists. As
36 > they say, you try to handle the issues on your own first, and if that
37 > fails, then you escalate to ComRel, who attempts to mediate, if
38 > mediation fails, then it may escalate to official action. ComRel is not
39 > running around with a ban hammer beating people up left and right.
40 There are indeed times where you have to bust out the power tools and
41 issue ultimatums. I'd like to believe those times are not as numerous as
42 people may be led to believe, and that in some cases, all options may
43 not be exhausted before resorting to forceful removal.
44
45 Sexual harassment is a legal matter, to be frank. We can take measures
46 to reduce its occurrence, but I'm sure we both know that technical
47 solutions for social problems don't really work. We can ban and remove,
48 but a persistent harasser will make new nicks, new e-mail addresses, may
49 publicly harass and/or stalk someone, etc. Past a certain point, the
50 victim may need to press charges or seek other avenues of power, e.g.
51 talk to Freenode about IRC harassment, report to the attacker's e-mail
52 provider, etc.
53
54 I'm trying my best not to paint Comrel one way or another because I've
55 not interacted with them, but with the recent situations coming to
56 light, I don't think it's unwise to at least question what goes on,
57 which is why we're having this conversation.
58 >>
59 >> Leadership requires accountability. Trustees and the Council have some
60 >> degree of accountability, and can be removed from their positions as the
61 >> developer community pleases. With a group as influential as Comrel, I
62 >> would expect some level of accountability and responsibility. If we're
63 >> going to trust a group with what's essentially HR, their decisions
64 >> should be backed by an accountable person or group, such as the Council
65 >> (or a similar group within Comrel that answers to the community).
66 > It's the case with all representative governments. You elect some
67 > officials who appoint others. If you don't like their choices, you
68 > speak to them, or vote for someone else.
69 >>
70 >> In that vein, I believe that if Comrel is responsible for a particularly
71 >> unpopular or otherwise disruptive change, they should be held
72 >> accountable for it, including finding "replacements" or filling the
73 >> holes left by the developer(s) they may take action against.
74 > How do they do that? They can't force another developer to take their
75 > place, nor can they suddenly will up other developers into existence
76 > (which still has the force issue)
77 >>
78 >> Additionally, we should think about conflicts of interest. Should we let
79 >> people act on both the Council and in Comrel? I recall certain
80 >> situations call for council members to abstain from certain votes. Is
81 >> that true of matters involving Comrel as well? QA? There are multiple
82 >> "pits" of power, and I think we as a project should do what we can to
83 >> ensure that powers between groups don't become imbalanced as one or a
84 >> small group consolidate power among themselves and use it as a weapon.
85 >>
86 > Now, as far as conflict of interest is concerned, since the appeal of a
87 > ComRel issue is a Council appeal, I think that a conflict of interest
88 > warrants special attention. Whether we are best with a policy
89 > preventing holding both positions, or forcing someone to recuse
90 > themselves, I think we'd probably benefit from either.
91 +1
94 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
95 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
96 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6