From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Support for Seperate /usr
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 22:49:39
1 On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 05:16:26PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I do favor the dropping of support for separate /usr without an early
3 > boot workaround. I just don't think the council should actually step
4 > in until somebody needs us to, or as part of some larger plan. If the
5 > base-system maintainers have things under control, better to let them
6 > handle it.
7
8 The whole reason I brought this up is, according to some, the council
9 did step in in April of 2012 and mandate that we must support separate
10 /usr without an early boot workaround. If you read the meeting log from
11 that meeting, it seems pretty clear that was chainsaw's intent.
12
13 Because of that perception, if base-system decides to do something
14 differently, there would definitely be flack over it.
15
16 In a nutshell, I am asking the council this question:
17
18 Is separate /usr, without an early boot mechanism like an initramfs,
19 an officially supported configuration?
20
21 William