From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Support for Seperate /usr
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 22:59:32
1 On 02/08/13 01:49, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 05:16:26PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> I do favor the dropping of support for separate /usr without an early
4 >> boot workaround. I just don't think the council should actually step
5 >> in until somebody needs us to, or as part of some larger plan. If the
6 >> base-system maintainers have things under control, better to let them
7 >> handle it.
8 >
9 > The whole reason I brought this up is, according to some, the council
10 > did step in in April of 2012 and mandate that we must support separate
11 > /usr without an early boot workaround. If you read the meeting log from
12 > that meeting, it seems pretty clear that was chainsaw's intent.
13 >
14 > Because of that perception, if base-system decides to do something
15 > differently, there would definitely be flack over it.
16 >
17 > In a nutshell, I am asking the council this question:
18 >
19 > Is separate /usr, without an early boot mechanism like an initramfs,
20 > an officially supported configuration?
21 >
22 > William
25 The work can continue separating / vs. /usr deps still -- I've just done
26 that for libusb, libusbx, libusb-compat using `gen_usr_ldscript -a` from
27 toolchain-funcs.eclass
28
29 Then gen_usr_ldscript could be converted to no-op, or at least gain
30 environment variable like USR_MOVE="yes" in which case nothing is moved
31 to / and it's really no-op.
32
33 This was just discussed today at end of this bug 478878
34
35 So let's keep the work going if someone requests, but lets convert
36 gen_usr_ldscript optional