From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 08:20:35
1 On 09/30/2016 12:28 AM, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > Hi William,
3 >
4 > In general I am agree with Rich, Kristian and Dirkjan that comrel and
5 > recruiters are doing their job. Though nothing could be perfect.
6 >
7 > I donot quite understand what happened in the past. But from your email
8 > I see your deep passion and love with Gentoo, not to mention your
9 > contributions. Glad you are going to try to get yourself on board.
10 >
11 > I am thinking if we could dump baggages of the past and start afresh, at
12 > least in the recruitment process. I have never programmed in java, but
13 > if you need someone to review your quiz, I am ready to help.
14 >
15 > Yours,
16 > Benda
17 >
18 That's a good point. Personalities, situations, and even the given goals
19 of a group can change over the course of time. There's a certain point
20 imo where it does no good to hold grudges and it's healthier to start over.
21
22 I know nothing of the prior situation, William, but as someone who cut
23 their dev teeth on a few Java packages, it takes a hell of a person to
24 work on those ebuilds, and the project needs all the help it can get.
25 monsieurp and chewi have done a whole lot for it, but I think they could
26 use someone who uses Gentoo+Java in a more demanding environment (such
27 as work), and it seems like you fit that bill. I'm not on the team, but
28 for the sake of the Java programmers out there (again, not me) your
29 presence would benefit Java on Gentoo as dealing with it in a workplace
30 gives you a strong understanding of what the ebuilds need to support and
31 how the packages tend to be used.
34 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
35 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
36 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6