From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 17:20:28
1 On 18-06-26 19:00:01, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 06/26/2018 06:54 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
3 > > On 18-06-26 18:27:14, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
4 > >> On 06/26/2018 09:12 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > >>> W dniu wto, 26.06.2018 o godzinie 09∶11 +0200, użytkownik Michał Górny
6 > >>> napisał:
7 > >>>> To improve readability of the thread, I'll ask my question in reply to
8 > >>>> myself ;-).
9 > >>>>
10 > >>>
11 > >>> And I'd like to ask the inevitable question: what do you think should be
12 > >>> the roles of Gentoo Council and Trustees appropriately?
13 > >>>
14 > >>
15 > >> The Trustees should make sure the bills are paid and affairs are in
16 > >> order so that the light are on for the distribution, of which the
17 > >> Council handles.
18 > >>
19 > >
20 > > What about ensuring that the following situation does not happen.
21 > >
22 > > Lawsuit is filed against the foundation because of inaction or
23 > > inappropriate action by members of the distro. Who is responsible for
24 > > remediating that situation? It involves both the foundation and the
25 > > 'distro'. Further, who is responsible for ensuring the situation does
26 > > not occur in the first place?
29 > I don't see where inaction can be relevant for distro per se, that is
30 > mainly an issue for trustees that have a fiduciary duty to the
31 > stakeholders. There are also very few cases where "inappropriate action"
32 > by a distro developer has any legal ramification for the foundation, as
33 > there is no employment contract to constitute HR relevant matters, but
34 > that is why there is ComRel.
37 I think it's more that we are easier to sue that makes us a bigger
38 target then the perpetrator or those that enable them (which people
39 could think the foundation does).
40
41 > The first thing that should be done to ensure it doesn't happen is of
42 > course for Trustees to start doing _anything_ in order to fix the
43 > outstanding matters.
46 Can you be specific? I consider this to be an outstanding matter.
49 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)