From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 17:00:40
1 On 06/26/2018 06:54 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 18-06-26 18:27:14, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 >> On 06/26/2018 09:12 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>> W dniu wto, 26.06.2018 o godzinie 09∶11 +0200, użytkownik Michał Górny
5 >>> napisał:
6 >>>> To improve readability of the thread, I'll ask my question in reply to
7 >>>> myself ;-).
8 >>>>
9 >>>
10 >>> And I'd like to ask the inevitable question: what do you think should be
11 >>> the roles of Gentoo Council and Trustees appropriately?
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> The Trustees should make sure the bills are paid and affairs are in
15 >> order so that the light are on for the distribution, of which the
16 >> Council handles.
19 > What about ensuring that the following situation does not happen.
20 >
21 > Lawsuit is filed against the foundation because of inaction or
22 > inappropriate action by members of the distro. Who is responsible for
23 > remediating that situation? It involves both the foundation and the
24 > 'distro'. Further, who is responsible for ensuring the situation does
25 > not occur in the first place?
28 I don't see where inaction can be relevant for distro per se, that is
29 mainly an issue for trustees that have a fiduciary duty to the
30 stakeholders. There are also very few cases where "inappropriate action"
31 by a distro developer has any legal ramification for the foundation, as
32 there is no employment contract to constitute HR relevant matters, but
33 that is why there is ComRel.
34
35 The first thing that should be done to ensure it doesn't happen is of
36 course for Trustees to start doing _anything_ in order to fix the
37 outstanding matters.
40 Kristian Fiskerstrand
41 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
42 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3