From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 22:31:15
1 On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 5:44 PM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > This is interesting, since you had previously signed the copyright
4 > assignment form to Gentoo Technologies, Inc. (To be precise, you PGP
5 > signed it and sent it to recruiters@g.o on 2004-03-08.)
8 Given that the intent is for the FLA/CLA/whateverLA to be completely
9 optional, I don't think it makes sense to challenge people if they say
10 they don't intend to sign it. Contributors are welcome to sign it, or
11 not, and while I think we should explain why it would be a nice thing
12 if they could, if they can't or won't that is just fine too and that
13 is all there is to it.
14
15 I'll let Greg speak for himself (if he wishes to), but in a past
16 thread on this topic he commented that some may not be able to sign
17 due to employment obligations. This was one of the reasons we decided
18 to go towards making it optional (back when this was first being
19 discussed).
20
21 While I also ended up having a few disagreements with him in that
22 thread I will acknowledge that Greg is considered a bit of an expert
23 in this space (not that he needs endorsement from me). As we
24 discussed in IRC I support the changes that were made in this case,
25 however.
28 Rich