From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 10:49:54
1 Dnia 3 października 2015 11:40:22 CEST, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >>>>>> On Fri, 2 Oct 2015, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Am Wednesday 30 September 2015, 22:21:27 schrieb Andreas K. Huettel:
5 >>> > a) Remove the word "herd" from docs and specifications.
6 >>> >
7 >>> > b) Package is "in herd" -> package is "maintained by project"
8 >>> >
10 >>> > This needs (as Ulrich has already pointed out) a short-name y for
11 >>> > each project, to be defined on its wiki page. E.g., "Gentoo KDE
12 >>> > project" has shortname kde.
13 >
14 >> What's the gain? Does it justify breaking every tool dealing with
15 >> metadata.xml out there?
16 >
17 >At some point, backwards compatibility becomes a burden. If we are
18 >going to abandon herds then it is only consequent to retire the
19 >corresponding metadata tag. And yes, some tools will have to be
20 >adjusted. You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.
21
22 And why are we going to do that? I feel like you hijacked my agenda item with your own problem.
25 >> Are you going to fix package managers, gentoolkit, gentoopm,
26 >> packages.gentoo.org (in both versions), willikins, Funtoo
27 >> scripts...? Or is this going to be another smart move which forces
28 >> others to do extra work just because someone didn't like the name?
29 >
30 >Is there anything in this list that requires more than a trivial fix?
31
32 Well, looking at where this is heading, yes. Most likely most of them will be required to implement some kind of MediaWiki RPC...
35 >Ulrich
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny