From: Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 11:23:18
1 On 10/3/15 at 12:49 PM, Michał Górny wote:
2 > […]
3 >
4 >>> Are you going to fix package managers, gentoolkit, gentoopm,
5 >>> packages.gentoo.org (in both versions), willikins, Funtoo
6 >>> scripts...? Or is this going to be another smart move which
7 >>> forces others to do extra work just because someone didn't like
8 >>> the name?
9 >>
10 >> Is there anything in this list that requires more than a trivial
11 >> fix?
12 >
13 > Well, looking at where this is heading, yes. Most likely most of them
14 > will be required to implement some kind of MediaWiki RPC...
15
16 Could you stop constantly spreading your FUD already? Your
17 hyperbole-laden, neverending rants on our lists are getting really old
18 by now.
19
20 On the topic: I have multiple times said that when people know what data
21 they need out of anything listed in the Wiki, they will get it in a
22 format that suits them.
23
24 Right now, we already have an open, non-proprietary, XML-based RDF graph
25 that you can query for any machine-readable information. I understand
26 that not every consumer of our data wants to parse this, so I'll say
27 this again just for you: If you provide me with a use case and at least
28 a sketch of the required data structure, you can get near-instantly
29 updated data in pretty much any serialization format you need.
30
31 Until you know what you really want, though, I'll leave you to painting
32 the bikeshed.
33
34 Much love,
35 Alex
36
37 PS: I'll gladly fix packages.gentoo.org (in the one version that will stay)