From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Council demands on maintainers & council legal liability
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 20:33:22
1 On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 1:05 AM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 7/4/19 4:14 AM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
4 > > I realize that there is only a short period left in the election, but
5 > > I've been busy with IRL issues, and mgorny's trustee manifesto [1]
6 > ascribed
7 > > something to the Council members that concerned me; there's one
8 > > additional good question for the Council that I'll close with.
9 > >
10 > > 1. Points 1a&1c of mgorny's manifesto imply that the council can
11 > > unilaterally prevent support of any given package in Gentoo, and
12 > > basically remove the package from the distribution.
13 > >
14 > > This is despite any developers that may wish to support the package.
15 > >
16 > > What's your opinion of the council using this offensively against
17 > > packages? As a hypothetical, say systemd-ng comes about, with an even
18 > > worse opinionated choices than those presently in systemd. Should the
19 > > council be able to force support for openrc & systemd stop?
20 >
21 > Its definitely within the purview of the council to do it, but in most
22 > cases Gentoo is about flexibility so you don't want to. There are
23 > scenarios where you would have to consider it, though, e.g large impacts
24 > on others work (project out of scope), security issues , etc.
27 Clearly someone in Gentoo has this power, because in the end we choose who
28 has access to the means of production (nominally the mailing lists, irc,
29 bugzilla, git, etc..)
30 There is a question of centrality (should it be solely the council) vs some
31 other facility. If you literally read the GLEP[0] it makes it pretty clear
32 that:
33
34 1) The council is responsible for global issues.
35 2) Project leads still have some responsibility to their specific area.
36 3) Disciplinary actions can be appealed to the council.
37
38 If you were an originalist[2] and the council decided that
39 "mail-client/novell-groupwise-client"[1] was not suitable for the tree; I
40 wouldn't really expect the Council to have any particular say over this.
41 Not that they could not formulate an argument, but that literally their
42 purview does not extend here. This is explicitly called out in the GLEP
43 itself:
44
45 "Any dev may create a new project just by creating a new project page on
46 the wiki.gentoo.org (see [2]) and sending a Request For Comments (RFC)
47 e-mail to gentoo-dev. Note that this GLEP does not provide for a way for
48 the community at large to block a new project, even if the comments are
49 wholly negative."
50
51 I struggle to reconcile this text from GLEP 39 with the operational policy
52 that the "Council can do whatever they want and they are the ultimately
53 authority on ::gentoo."
54
55 Ultimately I think this is part of the point that Robin is raising and is a
56 key goal / right of Gentoo; because I do not think the council's purview
57 extends this far.
58
59 Note that (1) above is pretty vague, which is where i think all the leeway
60 comes into place in terms of the power the community lets the council have
61 (regardless of the actual text of the GLEP). It reminds me of the Commerce
62 Clause[3] in the US where the literal text of the amendment gives the
63 government broad regulatory authority. In the case of Gentoo, the Council's
64 authority extends only so far as the community tolerates them classifying
65 problems as 'global' (which is their clear purview) vs a local problem,
66 where its clearly the domain of a project lead or individual developer. I
67 don't expect a clearly written policy to cover all the ground here (because
68 there is too much ground to cover.)
69
70 -A
71
72 [0] https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0039.html
73 [1] I randomly picked this package as an example.
74 [2] For the record, I am not, but I can certainly see how others might be.
75 [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerce_Clause
79 > > 2. As an additional point, can you try to give your version of a simple
80 > > statement on the legal liabilities that the Council as a whole, and
81 > > the Council members as individuals, have for their actions?
84 > Council is no legal entity, so there is no as a whole, the individual
85 > legal liability is somewhat limited as there is no fiduciary duty etc
86 > arising due to this; which means no negligence claims etc.. So basically
87 > you're left with whatever else you can be sued for as an individual, but
88 > you're in a more profiled position so it is possibly more likely that
89 > you will face it by some angry internet people...
92 > --
93 > Kristian Fiskerstrand
94 > OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
95 > fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3