From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Cc: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Council demands on maintainers & council legal liability
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 23:48:58
1 On 7/4/19 10:33 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Note that (1) above is pretty vague, which is where i think all the leeway
3 > comes into place in terms of the power the community lets the council have
4 > (regardless of the actual text of the GLEP). It reminds me of the Commerce
5 > Clause[3] in the US where the literal text of the amendment gives the
6 > government broad regulatory authority. In the case of Gentoo, the Council's
7 > authority extends only so far as the community tolerates them classifying
8 > problems as 'global' (which is their clear purview) vs a local problem,
9 > where its clearly the domain of a project lead or individual developer. I
10 > don't expect a clearly written policy to cover all the ground here (because
11 > there is too much ground to cover.)
12
13 the requirement for an issue to be global isn't a very high bar. e.g an
14 expectation for a negative PR feedback from outsiders of Gentoo makes an
15 issue global per se, so I still stick to my original answer.
18 Kristian Fiskerstrand
19 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
20 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3