From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Council demands on maintainers & council legal liability
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 02:54:11
1 On 07/04/19 19:46, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 7/4/19 10:33 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> Note that (1) above is pretty vague, which is where i think all the leeway
4 >> comes into place in terms of the power the community lets the council have
5 >> (regardless of the actual text of the GLEP). It reminds me of the Commerce
6 >> Clause[3] in the US where the literal text of the amendment gives the
7 >> government broad regulatory authority. In the case of Gentoo, the Council's
8 >> authority extends only so far as the community tolerates them classifying
9 >> problems as 'global' (which is their clear purview) vs a local problem,
10 >> where its clearly the domain of a project lead or individual developer. I
11 >> don't expect a clearly written policy to cover all the ground here (because
12 >> there is too much ground to cover.)
13 >
14 > the requirement for an issue to be global isn't a very high bar. e.g an
15 > expectation for a negative PR feedback from outsiders of Gentoo makes an
16 > issue global per se, so I still stick to my original answer.
17 >
18 Using "I posit that someone might say something bad about $thing" as
19 grounds to make a "global issue" out of $thing is indeed not a high bar,
20 it is handwaving of the cheap undefined hypothetical variety, and if
21 that is really all that makes some consideration a "global issue" then
22 whoever made the claim in the first place has nothing but a poor
23 argument to make their claims on. Such claims seem rather more like a
24 petty waste of everyone's time than a substantive reason to involve the
25 council.
26
27 In case that was ambiguous, I mean both in theory and in practice.