From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] EAPI bump should require revbump
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 12:02:28
1 >>>>> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2
3 > Hey all -- there was just a discussion in #gentoo-dev about this, so
4 > following up here..
5
6 > Due to the fact that an EAPI-bump can imply different behaviour from
7 > eclasses or the PM, an EAPI-bump should in most cases also require an
8 > ebuild revbump.
9
10 > Why i'm bringing this up here, is because Chansaw and I were wondering
11 > if common sense will not be enough to ensure this and it should be
12 > made a policy to revbump when migrating to a new EAPI ?
13
14 So far the guideline was that a revbump isn't required if the files
15 installed by the ebuild don't change, or if there are only trivial
16 changes that don't affect functionality (like files going to
17 /usr/share/doc).
18
19 I don't see why EAPI bumps should be handled differently from other
20 changes to the ebuild. If the installed files don't change, why would
21 one impose upon the user to recompile the package?
22
23 Ulrich