From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] EAPI bump should require revbump
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 12:03:31
1 On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > I don't see why EAPI bumps should be handled differently from other
3 > changes to the ebuild. If the installed files don't change, why would
4 > one impose upon the user to recompile the package?
5
6 It would probably be best for this reason to wait until the package
7 actually does change to do an EAPI bump.
8
9 One thing that would concern me is testing - I don't like the idea of
10 stable packages changing in any way, since that bypasses the testing
11 cycle (both the formal cycle by the arch team, and the informal one by
12 being keyworded for testing for 30 days).
13
14 Also, the on-disk image really does have to not change. An EAPI bump
15 might cause subtle changes that the maintainer might not be aware of.
16
17 All that said, I think you have a decent point.
18
19 Rich