From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] EAPI bump should require revbump
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:02:50
1 On 20.10.2012 14.25, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I don't see why EAPI bumps should be handled differently from other
4 >> changes to the ebuild. If the installed files don't change, why would
5 >> one impose upon the user to recompile the package?
6 >
7 > It would probably be best for this reason to wait until the package
8 > actually does change to do an EAPI bump.
9 >
10 > One thing that would concern me is testing - I don't like the idea of
11 > stable packages changing in any way, since that bypasses the testing
12 > cycle (both the formal cycle by the arch team, and the informal one by
13 > being keyworded for testing for 30 days).
16 I don't think changing EAPI for stable packages is allowed. That means
17 we are only talking about testing packages for this thread and I think
18 there it's fine to follow the established rule already mentioned. If
19 developers break things continuously without testing, take up the issue
20 with QA.
21
22 Regards,
23 Petteri