From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] How do you feel about non-contributing developers with commit access?
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2018 18:27:31
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 16:05:35 +0100 Michał Górny wrote:
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > The Undertakers team has frequently received various forms of
7 > 'criticism' of their effort in attempting to find and retire inactive
8 > developers. This is getting as far as to claim that we shouldn't retire
9 > anyone because there are no limits on commit slots.
10 >
11 > Therefore, I would like to ask the wider community a general question:
12 > how do you feel about preserving commit access for people who no longer
13 > actively commit to Gentoo? I'm talking about extreme cases, say,
14 > no commits to any user-visible repository for over a year.
15
16 Due to security concerns one year of inactivity is a fair margin for
17 retirement, but AFAIK with current policy undertakers may become
18 active after 2 months of inactivity and are quite active after half
19 a year.
20
21 Also care should be taken to account indirect commits, e.g. when
22 developer in question is author, but not commiter. This may happen
23 due to many reasons, e.g. review and commit by a maintainer which
24 is another dev.
25
26 Best regards,
27 Andrew Savchenko