From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:32:49
1 On 02/28/2014 06:15 AM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On 02/27/2014 09:08 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> Hi everyone,
4 >>
5 >> I'm putting the call out there for any agenda items for the next Council
6 >> meeting, which will be held on March 11, 2014 at 1900 UTC. This is
7 >> short notice but we got off track because of FOSDEM and we're going to
8 >> try to get back on track.
9 >>
10 >> So far, the only item is final ratification of glep 63 [1].
11 > Since it's still a bit cold I'd like to start a nice fire to warm us up:
12 >
13 > I'd like QA and Council to figure out how much we care about FHS.
14 >
15 > My main complaint is some projects (including e.g. systemd and
16 > apparently now also udev) storing config files in /lib and/or /usr/lib.
17 >
18 > From FHS' point of view this is totally wrong, config files go to /etc
19 > Only libraries should be in /lib.
20 > Moving things to /usr/lib adds the extra fun that /usr needs to be
21 > mounted to acces *config files*. This is bad for our collective blood
22 > pressure.
23 >
24 > So I'd like to see config files stored in /etc again. Where they can be
25 > properly tracked and versioned ...
26 >
27 > (iow, storing config files in any other location than /etc is wrong;
28 > storing example configs in e.g. /usr/share is fine too; storing config
29 > in any other place is a valid bug that needs to be fixed)
30 >
31 > For upstreams that insist on splitting configs in "system default" and
32 > "local override" (which is rather nonsensical, but let them have some
33 > fun) I would suggest a subfolder of /etc, maybe /etc/defaults or
34 > /etc/systemdefaults or maybe /etc/lib/etc/usr/static if that's what
35 > makes people happy
38 > Enjoy the exothermic oxidation,
39 >
40 > Patrick
43 Speaking as a council member and the next chair: Patrick, how would you
44 pose this as a motion? As stated, the council should "discuss FHS" but
45 how would you word this as a policy that we can rule on? I have an idea
46 but would like to hear what you want.
47
48 Speaking as a gentoo dev: This is one of my objections with systemd and
49 the whole / + /usr merge. It violates a standard which is assumed in
50 many setups, namely FHS. Another is that systemd violates the "one
51 thing well" principle.
54 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
55 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
56 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
57 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
58 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA