From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 11:15:52
1 On 02/27/2014 09:08 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > I'm putting the call out there for any agenda items for the next Council
5 > meeting, which will be held on March 11, 2014 at 1900 UTC. This is
6 > short notice but we got off track because of FOSDEM and we're going to
7 > try to get back on track.
8 >
9 > So far, the only item is final ratification of glep 63 [1].
10
11 Since it's still a bit cold I'd like to start a nice fire to warm us up:
12
13 I'd like QA and Council to figure out how much we care about FHS.
14
15 My main complaint is some projects (including e.g. systemd and
16 apparently now also udev) storing config files in /lib and/or /usr/lib.
17
18 From FHS' point of view this is totally wrong, config files go to /etc
19 Only libraries should be in /lib.
20 Moving things to /usr/lib adds the extra fun that /usr needs to be
21 mounted to acces *config files*. This is bad for our collective blood
22 pressure.
23
24 So I'd like to see config files stored in /etc again. Where they can be
25 properly tracked and versioned ...
26
27 (iow, storing config files in any other location than /etc is wrong;
28 storing example configs in e.g. /usr/share is fine too; storing config
29 in any other place is a valid bug that needs to be fixed)
30
31 For upstreams that insist on splitting configs in "system default" and
32 "local override" (which is rather nonsensical, but let them have some
33 fun) I would suggest a subfolder of /etc, maybe /etc/defaults or
34 /etc/systemdefaults or maybe /etc/lib/etc/usr/static if that's what
35 makes people happy
38 Enjoy the exothermic oxidation,
39
40 Patrick