From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:28:43
1 On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:50:50 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > And how is that not discriminating? On one hand you talk of giving
4 > people outside the project the means to influence it, yet you
5 > explicitly take away the right of voting for people outside
6 > the Foundation (even though they are in the project, after all).
7
8 If as a Developer you opt out of Foundation membership. You cannot turn
9 around and claim discrimination to something you chose to leave.
10
11 > I'm not sure if you've seen that but Gentoo developers lately have been
12 > harassed by multiple users who had no to minor contributions yet
13 > believed they are the best people to tell developers how do their work.
14
15 Which is why they would be better served to voice their opinions to Trustees.
16 Let Trustees approach council if they feel it is best. If Council feels the
17 need they could consult Developers.
18
19 > Accepting input is one thing. Letting people who do not do current
20 > Gentoo work (= aren't affected by the decisions directly) decide on
21 > what others should do is another.
22
23 Just because Foundation, Council, and Gentoo project want to do something.
24 Does not mean YOU have to do that. At the same time a project should not be
25 just left up to those scratching itches. If by some means all that individual
26 itch scratching leads to something collectively great.
27
28 At some point has to be some big picture to how all the stuff fits together.
29 Are we a organized team/project or just individuals doing what ever?
30
31 > How can a user who has barely any contact with Gentoo developers be
32 > able to choose good candidates for the Council?
33
34 Users would never have ability to vote for Council. Foundation members can
35 only vote for Foundation stuff. Which Council voting would be left to
36 Developers.
37
38 > I don't see how either of those arguments are related to me being
39 > a Foundation member or not. After all, the Foundation protects *all*
40 > Gentoo work, independently of whether a developer doing it is a member
41 > or not, doesn't it?
42
43 So the Foundation and Trustees should be legally liable for all your actions
44 without any influence?
45
46 You can do what ever you want and we will be liable for your actions. Do you
47 want to be liable for all my actions. That is asking way to much of a Trustee
48 IMHO. Be 100% responsible and legally liable with no influence.
51 > I don't see a strict reason to do that, nor I see a strict reason not
52 > to do that. Just pointing out that lawfully membership could be
53 > considered fully irrelevant.
54
55 Sure and By Laws can be revised and policies enacted to address any such
56 issues, if needed.
59 > > It could be best, but could also result in a insiders only club.
60 >
61 > Excuse me but how is the Foundation membership different? Foundation
62 > members still have to be approved by Trustees.
63
64 Not if Foundation members are only developers. There would be no approval as
65 every Developer would have automatic membership till opt out.
66
67 Foundation membership approval would come from outsiders/contributors. Making
68 their case to the Trustees why they should be a member in the Gentoo
69 foundation and able to vote.
70
71 > They can get recruited. It's not hard. Getting a developer status
72 > (without commit access) mostly involves proving that you're accustomed
73 > to organization matters of how Gentoo operates.
74
75 There are many in the community who either cannot or do not want to be come
76 Developers in any capacity. Just the same as those who do not want to be
77 members in the Foundation.
78
79 > Do you really think Gentoo users should start telling developers how
80 > Gentoo should be operating without learning how it's operating right
81 > now first?
82
83 No, but how Gentoo operates today may not be how it always has or always
84 should. Gentoo is about choice, and should not exclude input from the
85 community.
86
87 Gentoo Developers do not know everything about Gentoo. There are many outside
88 of Gentoo who may know more technically and about the project organization
89 etc. Do not assume you are a expert or guru because you are a Developer, and
90 another is not because they are part of the community.
91
92 Who is to say Developers even know what is best, without considering others
93 perspectives.
94
95 > No. But it means that I'm no longer in position to tell others what to
96 > do, or vote who the best candidate for Council/Trustee/etc. is.
97
98 Would you not have any wisdom from your experience to share with others?
99
100 > I don't mind past contributors having advisory roles for Gentoo. I do
101 > mind having them vote on people when they no longer are interested in
102 > directly participating in the complete developer community.
103
104 Which is all they could do in being a member of the Foundation. Sure the
105 community could have more votes than developers. That is where Trustees
106 present such ideas to Council, on behalf of the community.
107
108 > I believe the legal liability concern is a rare enough issue for
109 > Trustees to be involved rather when that is a possible case rather than
110 > having them approve every step of everyone else.
111
112 True, but just because no one has sued does not mean the project should not be
113 aware of such liabilities and seek to protect itself from law suit.
116 > Yes, I know that they can. And they also know that by doing this they
117 > are going to lose many useful contributors. Gentoo can't exist without
118 > people doing the work, even if the common mailing list complainers
119 > finally get what they wanted and are satisfied.
120
121 Gentoo will not exist if it loses it community. Developers come from the
122 community. It took a few to start the project, but many to grow it. Those many
123 came from the community.
124
125 Like any business, it is not the employees that matter but the customers. Sure
126 they business cannot run without employees, but without customers, there is no
127 business. Thus without a community to use the stuff, there is no Gentoo.
128
129 Lots of software out there no one uses.
130
131 > It's not perfect but I believe Gentoo could prevail. Maybe it'd even be
132 > beneficial long-term, since it would let the developers actually doing
133 > a lot of work to split from those who mostly talk. Pretty much getting
134 > Gentoo back to the roots, as Daniel Robbins seen it.
135
136 That is not how Daniel sees it, and does not agree with such separation. That
137 is what people need to understand. What Gentoo has become it was not intended
138 to be, nor did it start that way.
139
140 > Of course, there's the trademark issue. It could end up in the 'FFmpeg
141 > fiasco' where actual development would continue in a separate entity,
142 > and Gentoo Foundation would just 'steal' their work and publish it as
143 > the official Gentoo.
144
145 There could be lots of issues, why it is best for all to work together. Not
146 create separate entities or potential division within the project. But
147 mechanisms to help keep it together by working together.
150 William L. Thomson Jr.