From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 16:51:04
1 On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:56:16 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:46:34 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
5 > >
6 > > 1. I do not mind encouraging more developers to join the Foundation, or
7 > > even making it opt-out. However, I do oppose discriminating developers
8 > > who decide not to join the Foundation.
9 >
10 > There should not be any discrimination. Just an understanding by opting out
11 > you give up your voice/vote.
12
13 And how is that not discriminating? On one hand you talk of giving
14 people outside the project the means to influence it, yet you
15 explicitly take away the right of voting for people outside
16 the Foundation (even though they are in the project, after all).
19 > > 2. I agree on having a single pool of voters. However, I believe those
20 > > should be limited to active Gentoo developers, independently of
21 > > Foundation membership.
22 >
23 > If one pool, not sure you can opt out of Foundation. Since that means you
24 > cannot vote for Foundation, then you may no be able to vote for Council.
25 >
26 > Plus may be contestable to merge beyond the voting issue. Easier to not merge
27 > and leave as is now.
28 >
29 > Also most projects give means for people outside to be part of the project.
30 > Non-contributing members. Why should members of the community not have any
31 > say? It is just a vote. The Trustees would have to present to Council and
32 > those two bodies decide if it is best for Gentoo.
33 >
34 > Only reason to not give the community any representation is to say we do not
35 > care what you think, you have no say in Gentoo. Only those with a vested
36 > interest have a say. It is one way to go but not a very open way IMHO.
37 >
38 > Gentoo should welcome everyone's input. Some may have technical contributions,
39 > others documentation. Maybe some have good ideas for Gentoo.
40
41 I'm not sure if you've seen that but Gentoo developers lately have been
42 harassed by multiple users who had no to minor contributions yet
43 believed they are the best people to tell developers how do their work.
44
45 Accepting input is one thing. Letting people who do not do current
46 Gentoo work (= aren't affected by the decisions directly) decide on
47 what others should do is another.
48
49 How can a user who has barely any contact with Gentoo developers be
50 able to choose good candidates for the Council?
51
52 > > First of all, I'd like to point out how I see the 'problem' of many
53 > > developers not being part of the Foundation. I think that in most
54 > > cases, it's just a matter of 'simplicity': why would I bother joining
55 > > Gentoo Foundation if it does not affect my Gentoo work?
56 >
57 > Because you care about Gentoo. You care to see your work protected and not
58 > another taking credit and profiting from your work.
59 >
60 > Without a Foundation per se, someone could take your work, say it was there
61 > own. Potentially selling such and making a profit. The Foundation is there to
62 > protect you, your work/contributions, etc.
63 >
64 > Also to make sure you are not sued personally for your work. Though most FOSS
65 > software has disclaimer for such. By contributing to Gentoo per se, Gentoo
66 > takes that liability from you.
67 >
68 > > I think that many Gentoo developers, especially foreigners, have
69 > > serious doubts about implications of being a Foundation member. Even if
70 > > elaborate US lawyers can claim otherwise, we're talking about local law
71 > > here, and for example I had enough of the law without having to wonder
72 > > about the implications of formal foreign non-profit corporation
73 > > membership.
74 >
75 > If you had a legal issue around FOSS who would you turn to? Does the EFF or
76 > SLFC have an entity in your country? This is a problem any project would face.
77
78 I don't see how either of those arguments are related to me being
79 a Foundation member or not. After all, the Foundation protects *all*
80 Gentoo work, independently of whether a developer doing it is a member
81 or not, doesn't it?
82
83 > > As long as there is no lawful reason to require
84 > > anyone to be a Foundation member to do X, I don't think we should
85 > > enforce that. And unless I'm mistaken, not even Trustees are legally
86 > >
87 > > required to be members of the Foundation (modulo current Bylaws):
88 > > | Directors need not be residents of New Mexico or members of
89 > > | the corporation unless the articles of incorporation or the bylaws
90 > > | so require.
91 > >
92 > > http://www.sos.state.nm.us/uploads/files/Corporations/ch53Art8.pdf
93 >
94 > That would mean if a Developer who opted out of Foundation membership could
95 > still run and be elected as a Trustee. Which would likely give them
96 > membership, opt them back in.
97
98 I don't see a strict reason to do that, nor I see a strict reason not
99 to do that. Just pointing out that lawfully membership could be
100 considered fully irrelevant.
101
102 > > Single pool of voters
103 > > =====================
104 > >
105 > > I agree that having two disjoint pools of voters for two important
106 > > boards running Gentoo might be bad. However, following the point made
107 > > above I don't think that Foundation membership should be relevant to
108 > > the ability to vote.
109 > >
110 > > Therefore, I think it would be best if both the Council and Trustees
111 > > were elected by active Gentoo developers, in a manner consistent with
112 > > how Council is elected nowadays.
113 >
114 > It could be best, but could also result in a insiders only club.
115
116 Excuse me but how is the Foundation membership different? Foundation
117 members still have to be approved by Trustees.
118
119 > > This removes the current Foundation members who are not developers from
120 > > the voter pool. I'm sorry but I believe it's more appropriate that
121 > > people who actively develop Gentoo (and have proven to understand its
122 > > the organizational structure via passing the quizzes) get a vote
123 > > in deciding how Gentoo is run.
124 >
125 > I think it is a big mistake to limit things to Developers only. I am not
126 > aware of any Developers with say a legal background. What if members of the
127 > community do? Should they really be excluded?
128 >
129 > Developers do not always know best, and are not versed in all fields. This is a
130 > close minded approach to only allowing a voice from within. Also what does it
131 > say to the community?
132 >
133 > There could be users of Gentoo who have more experience than new developers.
134 > Their experience or patronage matters not? Who cares what you develop if no
135 > one uses it, it does not really matter does it?
136
137 They can get recruited. It's not hard. Getting a developer status
138 (without commit access) mostly involves proving that you're accustomed
139 to organization matters of how Gentoo operates.
140
141 Do you really think Gentoo users should start telling developers how
142 Gentoo should be operating without learning how it's operating right
143 now first?
144
145 > > While I believe it's important to remember the history of Gentoo
146 > > and acknowledge past contributions to it, I don't think that solely
147 > > past contributions should imply the ability to decide (however
148 > > indirectly) how Gentoo is run nowadays.
149 >
150 > A day will come when you may not contribute anymore. Does that mean all your
151 > past contributions immediately become worthless? Does that mean your
152 > experience in the project did not result in any wisdom you could share with
153 > others?
154
155 No. But it means that I'm no longer in position to tell others what to
156 do, or vote who the best candidate for Council/Trustee/etc. is.
157
158 I don't mind past contributors having advisory roles for Gentoo. I do
159 mind having them vote on people when they no longer are interested in
160 directly participating in the complete developer community.
161
162 > > Council, on the other hand, focuses on technical (and quasi-social)
163 > > matters. It's important for Council members to be capable of good
164 > > judgment both on technical and community matters, and being able to
165 > > provide resolutions that are beneficial to the community. The location
166 > > is pretty much irrelevant here, and the role could be considered
167 > > informal by many.
168 >
169 > Council also needs to work with Trustees to ensure such is not taking on legal
170 > liability.
171
172 I believe the legal liability concern is a rare enough issue for
173 Trustees to be involved rather when that is a possible case rather than
174 having them approve every step of everyone else.
175
176 > > I have yet to see the final proposal to throw my vote but I already
177 > > start to dislike the direction it is heading towards. With no good
178 > > rationale, and no good problem statement it seems like a change for
179 > > the sake of changing things and/or replacing people.
180 >
181 > Keep something in mind. Trustees could, not saying they would, change legal
182 > and structure aspects of Gentoo with no opposition. If you were not happy, if
183 > you are not a member of the Foundation as it stands now. You could do nothing
184 > legally, Nor could the council or anyone.
185 >
186 > Acting like the Foundation is just a steward is a misnomer. It is good the
187 > Trustees are seeking feedback and approval but they are not legally required
188 > to do such. Once elected they do have legal authority to enact their will.
189
190 Yes, I know that they can. And they also know that by doing this they
191 are going to lose many useful contributors. Gentoo can't exist without
192 people doing the work, even if the common mailing list complainers
193 finally get what they wanted and are satisfied.
194
195 It's not perfect but I believe Gentoo could prevail. Maybe it'd even be
196 beneficial long-term, since it would let the developers actually doing
197 a lot of work to split from those who mostly talk. Pretty much getting
198 Gentoo back to the roots, as Daniel Robbins seen it.
199
200 Of course, there's the trademark issue. It could end up in the 'FFmpeg
201 fiasco' where actual development would continue in a separate entity,
202 and Gentoo Foundation would just 'steal' their work and publish it as
203 the official Gentoo.
206 Best regards,
207 Michał Górny
208 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>