From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:04:32
1 On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:56:16 -0500
4 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:46:34 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > 1. I do not mind encouraging more developers to join the Foundation, or
9 > > > even making it opt-out. However, I do oppose discriminating developers
10 > > > who decide not to join the Foundation.
11 > >
12 > > There should not be any discrimination. Just an understanding by opting
13 > out
14 > > you give up your voice/vote.
15 >
16 > And how is that not discriminating? On one hand you talk of giving
17 > people outside the project the means to influence it, yet you
18 > explicitly take away the right of voting for people outside
19 > the Foundation (even though they are in the project, after all).
22 To put it another way:
23
24 1) One goal is to have more foundation members who are also developers
25 (alignment of ideas).
26 2) If joining the foundation offers no benefit, then developers will not
27 join.
28 3) One benefit we could offer is to merge the voting pools, so that the
29 voters for Trustees and the Council are the same.
30 4) This means that anyone who "really cares about how Gentoo is run as a
31 distribution" is nominally forced to join the Foundation to exercise their
32 vote.
33
34 This is a specific implementation of the basic idea that "the foundation
35 has no interesting duties, so we need to give it interesting duties." I
36 suspect there are other ways of making Foundation membership useful enough
37 that people actually pursue it.
38
39 (Reading it written out it does look like a fairly draconian approach.)
40
41 -A
46 > > > 2. I agree on having a single pool of voters. However, I believe those
47 > > > should be limited to active Gentoo developers, independently of
48 > > > Foundation membership.
49 > >
50 > > If one pool, not sure you can opt out of Foundation. Since that means you
51 > > cannot vote for Foundation, then you may no be able to vote for Council.
52 > >
53 > > Plus may be contestable to merge beyond the voting issue. Easier to not
54 > merge
55 > > and leave as is now.
56 > >
57 > > Also most projects give means for people outside to be part of the
58 > project.
59 > > Non-contributing members. Why should members of the community not have
60 > any
61 > > say? It is just a vote. The Trustees would have to present to Council and
62 > > those two bodies decide if it is best for Gentoo.
63 > >
64 > > Only reason to not give the community any representation is to say we do
65 > not
66 > > care what you think, you have no say in Gentoo. Only those with a vested
67 > > interest have a say. It is one way to go but not a very open way IMHO.
68 > >
69 > > Gentoo should welcome everyone's input. Some may have technical
70 > contributions,
71 > > others documentation. Maybe some have good ideas for Gentoo.
72 >
73 > I'm not sure if you've seen that but Gentoo developers lately have been
74 > harassed by multiple users who had no to minor contributions yet
75 > believed they are the best people to tell developers how do their work.
76 >
77 > Accepting input is one thing. Letting people who do not do current
78 > Gentoo work (= aren't affected by the decisions directly) decide on
79 > what others should do is another.
80 >
81 > How can a user who has barely any contact with Gentoo developers be
82 > able to choose good candidates for the Council?
83 >
84 > > > First of all, I'd like to point out how I see the 'problem' of many
85 > > > developers not being part of the Foundation. I think that in most
86 > > > cases, it's just a matter of 'simplicity': why would I bother joining
87 > > > Gentoo Foundation if it does not affect my Gentoo work?
88 > >
89 > > Because you care about Gentoo. You care to see your work protected and
90 > not
91 > > another taking credit and profiting from your work.
92 > >
93 > > Without a Foundation per se, someone could take your work, say it was
94 > there
95 > > own. Potentially selling such and making a profit. The Foundation is
96 > there to
97 > > protect you, your work/contributions, etc.
98 > >
99 > > Also to make sure you are not sued personally for your work. Though most
100 > FOSS
101 > > software has disclaimer for such. By contributing to Gentoo per se,
102 > Gentoo
103 > > takes that liability from you.
104 > >
105 > > > I think that many Gentoo developers, especially foreigners, have
106 > > > serious doubts about implications of being a Foundation member. Even if
107 > > > elaborate US lawyers can claim otherwise, we're talking about local law
108 > > > here, and for example I had enough of the law without having to wonder
109 > > > about the implications of formal foreign non-profit corporation
110 > > > membership.
111 > >
112 > > If you had a legal issue around FOSS who would you turn to? Does the EFF
113 > or
114 > > SLFC have an entity in your country? This is a problem any project would
115 > face.
116 >
117 > I don't see how either of those arguments are related to me being
118 > a Foundation member or not. After all, the Foundation protects *all*
119 > Gentoo work, independently of whether a developer doing it is a member
120 > or not, doesn't it?
121 >
122 > > > As long as there is no lawful reason to require
123 > > > anyone to be a Foundation member to do X, I don't think we should
124 > > > enforce that. And unless I'm mistaken, not even Trustees are legally
125 > > >
126 > > > required to be members of the Foundation (modulo current Bylaws):
127 > > > | Directors need not be residents of New Mexico or members of
128 > > > | the corporation unless the articles of incorporation or the bylaws
129 > > > | so require.
130 > > >
131 > > > http://www.sos.state.nm.us/uploads/files/Corporations/ch53Art8.pdf
132 > >
133 > > That would mean if a Developer who opted out of Foundation membership
134 > could
135 > > still run and be elected as a Trustee. Which would likely give them
136 > > membership, opt them back in.
137 >
138 > I don't see a strict reason to do that, nor I see a strict reason not
139 > to do that. Just pointing out that lawfully membership could be
140 > considered fully irrelevant.
141 >
142 > > > Single pool of voters
143 > > > =====================
144 > > >
145 > > > I agree that having two disjoint pools of voters for two important
146 > > > boards running Gentoo might be bad. However, following the point made
147 > > > above I don't think that Foundation membership should be relevant to
148 > > > the ability to vote.
149 > > >
150 > > > Therefore, I think it would be best if both the Council and Trustees
151 > > > were elected by active Gentoo developers, in a manner consistent with
152 > > > how Council is elected nowadays.
153 > >
154 > > It could be best, but could also result in a insiders only club.
155 >
156 > Excuse me but how is the Foundation membership different? Foundation
157 > members still have to be approved by Trustees.
158 >
159 > > > This removes the current Foundation members who are not developers from
160 > > > the voter pool. I'm sorry but I believe it's more appropriate that
161 > > > people who actively develop Gentoo (and have proven to understand its
162 > > > the organizational structure via passing the quizzes) get a vote
163 > > > in deciding how Gentoo is run.
164 > >
165 > > I think it is a big mistake to limit things to Developers only. I am not
166 > > aware of any Developers with say a legal background. What if members of
167 > the
168 > > community do? Should they really be excluded?
169 > >
170 > > Developers do not always know best, and are not versed in all fields.
171 > This is a
172 > > close minded approach to only allowing a voice from within. Also what
173 > does it
174 > > say to the community?
175 > >
176 > > There could be users of Gentoo who have more experience than new
177 > developers.
178 > > Their experience or patronage matters not? Who cares what you develop if
179 > no
180 > > one uses it, it does not really matter does it?
181 >
182 > They can get recruited. It's not hard. Getting a developer status
183 > (without commit access) mostly involves proving that you're accustomed
184 > to organization matters of how Gentoo operates.
185 >
186 > Do you really think Gentoo users should start telling developers how
187 > Gentoo should be operating without learning how it's operating right
188 > now first?
189 >
190 > > > While I believe it's important to remember the history of Gentoo
191 > > > and acknowledge past contributions to it, I don't think that solely
192 > > > past contributions should imply the ability to decide (however
193 > > > indirectly) how Gentoo is run nowadays.
194 > >
195 > > A day will come when you may not contribute anymore. Does that mean all
196 > your
197 > > past contributions immediately become worthless? Does that mean your
198 > > experience in the project did not result in any wisdom you could share
199 > with
200 > > others?
201 >
202 > No. But it means that I'm no longer in position to tell others what to
203 > do, or vote who the best candidate for Council/Trustee/etc. is.
204 >
205 > I don't mind past contributors having advisory roles for Gentoo. I do
206 > mind having them vote on people when they no longer are interested in
207 > directly participating in the complete developer community.
208 >
209 > > > Council, on the other hand, focuses on technical (and quasi-social)
210 > > > matters. It's important for Council members to be capable of good
211 > > > judgment both on technical and community matters, and being able to
212 > > > provide resolutions that are beneficial to the community. The location
213 > > > is pretty much irrelevant here, and the role could be considered
214 > > > informal by many.
215 > >
216 > > Council also needs to work with Trustees to ensure such is not taking on
217 > legal
218 > > liability.
219 >
220 > I believe the legal liability concern is a rare enough issue for
221 > Trustees to be involved rather when that is a possible case rather than
222 > having them approve every step of everyone else.
223 >
224 > > > I have yet to see the final proposal to throw my vote but I already
225 > > > start to dislike the direction it is heading towards. With no good
226 > > > rationale, and no good problem statement it seems like a change for
227 > > > the sake of changing things and/or replacing people.
228 > >
229 > > Keep something in mind. Trustees could, not saying they would, change
230 > legal
231 > > and structure aspects of Gentoo with no opposition. If you were not
232 > happy, if
233 > > you are not a member of the Foundation as it stands now. You could do
234 > nothing
235 > > legally, Nor could the council or anyone.
236 > >
237 > > Acting like the Foundation is just a steward is a misnomer. It is good
238 > the
239 > > Trustees are seeking feedback and approval but they are not legally
240 > required
241 > > to do such. Once elected they do have legal authority to enact their
242 > will.
243 >
244 > Yes, I know that they can. And they also know that by doing this they
245 > are going to lose many useful contributors. Gentoo can't exist without
246 > people doing the work, even if the common mailing list complainers
247 > finally get what they wanted and are satisfied.
248 >
249 > It's not perfect but I believe Gentoo could prevail. Maybe it'd even be
250 > beneficial long-term, since it would let the developers actually doing
251 > a lot of work to split from those who mostly talk. Pretty much getting
252 > Gentoo back to the roots, as Daniel Robbins seen it.
253 >
254 > Of course, there's the trademark issue. It could end up in the 'FFmpeg
255 > fiasco' where actual development would continue in a separate entity,
256 > and Gentoo Foundation would just 'steal' their work and publish it as
257 > the official Gentoo.
258 >
259 > --
260 > Best regards,