From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:04:16
1 On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:04:29 -0800
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:56:16 -0500
7 > > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
8 > >
9 > > > On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:46:34 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
10 > > > >
11 > > > > 1. I do not mind encouraging more developers to join the Foundation, or
12 > > > > even making it opt-out. However, I do oppose discriminating developers
13 > > > > who decide not to join the Foundation.
14 > > >
15 > > > There should not be any discrimination. Just an understanding by opting
16 > > out
17 > > > you give up your voice/vote.
18 > >
19 > > And how is that not discriminating? On one hand you talk of giving
20 > > people outside the project the means to influence it, yet you
21 > > explicitly take away the right of voting for people outside
22 > > the Foundation (even though they are in the project, after all).
25 > To put it another way:
26 >
27 > 1) One goal is to have more foundation members who are also developers
28 > (alignment of ideas).
29 > 2) If joining the foundation offers no benefit, then developers will not
30 > join.
31 > 3) One benefit we could offer is to merge the voting pools, so that the
32 > voters for Trustees and the Council are the same.
33 > 4) This means that anyone who "really cares about how Gentoo is run as a
34 > distribution" is nominally forced to join the Foundation to exercise their
35 > vote.
36 >
37 > This is a specific implementation of the basic idea that "the foundation
38 > has no interesting duties, so we need to give it interesting duties." I
39 > suspect there are other ways of making Foundation membership useful enough
40 > that people actually pursue it.
41 >
42 > (Reading it written out it does look like a fairly draconian approach.)
43
44 Exactly my point. So why do we want to pursue that? Wouldn't it better
45 to make it really optional, and turn Foundation membership into a thing
46 developers would be proud of?
49 Best regards,
50 Michał Górny
51 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>