From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:56:29
1 On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:46:34 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > 1. I do not mind encouraging more developers to join the Foundation, or
4 > even making it opt-out. However, I do oppose discriminating developers
5 > who decide not to join the Foundation.
6
7 There should not be any discrimination. Just an understanding by opting out
8 you give up your voice/vote.
9
10 > 2. I agree on having a single pool of voters. However, I believe those
11 > should be limited to active Gentoo developers, independently of
12 > Foundation membership.
13
14 If one pool, not sure you can opt out of Foundation. Since that means you
15 cannot vote for Foundation, then you may no be able to vote for Council.
16
17 Plus may be contestable to merge beyond the voting issue. Easier to not merge
18 and leave as is now.
19
20 Also most projects give means for people outside to be part of the project.
21 Non-contributing members. Why should members of the community not have any
22 say? It is just a vote. The Trustees would have to present to Council and
23 those two bodies decide if it is best for Gentoo.
24
25 Only reason to not give the community any representation is to say we do not
26 care what you think, you have no say in Gentoo. Only those with a vested
27 interest have a say. It is one way to go but not a very open way IMHO.
28
29 Gentoo should welcome everyone's input. Some may have technical contributions,
30 others documentation. Maybe some have good ideas for Gentoo.
31
32 > 3. I don't think merging the Council and Trustees is a good idea.
33 > The two projects have divergent goals and different qualities expected
34 > from members.
35
36 Yes, do not merge, but provide means for them to work together for the benefit
37 of all, and Gentoo over all.
38
39 > First of all, I'd like to point out how I see the 'problem' of many
40 > developers not being part of the Foundation. I think that in most
41 > cases, it's just a matter of 'simplicity': why would I bother joining
42 > Gentoo Foundation if it does not affect my Gentoo work?
43
44 Because you care about Gentoo. You care to see your work protected and not
45 another taking credit and profiting from your work.
46
47 Without a Foundation per se, someone could take your work, say it was there
48 own. Potentially selling such and making a profit. The Foundation is there to
49 protect you, your work/contributions, etc.
50
51 Also to make sure you are not sued personally for your work. Though most FOSS
52 software has disclaimer for such. By contributing to Gentoo per se, Gentoo
53 takes that liability from you.
54
55 > I think that many Gentoo developers, especially foreigners, have
56 > serious doubts about implications of being a Foundation member. Even if
57 > elaborate US lawyers can claim otherwise, we're talking about local law
58 > here, and for example I had enough of the law without having to wonder
59 > about the implications of formal foreign non-profit corporation
60 > membership.
61
62 If you had a legal issue around FOSS who would you turn to? Does the EFF or
63 SLFC have an entity in your country? This is a problem any project would face.
64
65 > So if anyone thinks that developers not being Foundation members are
66 > a problem, then I think it's best solved by spreading more information
67 > about the Foundation and encouragement, not attempting to force people
68 > in.
69
70 If the Foundation does more for Gentoo and there is benefit to Gentoo
71 Developers. They may look to participate on their own as they would be
72 motivated to join.
73
74 This is one of the problems, with the Foundation being seen as separate with
75 "boring" duties and mission. Very few over many years have ever taken interest
76 in Foundation matters. The less the Foundation does, the more it will be
77 irrelevant to most. The more the Foundation is active, the more it will
78 attract interest.
79
80 > If you believe that it is legally safe for any foreigner to be
81 > a Foundation member, then I think it'd be reasonable for recruiters (or
82 > mentors) to propose that to new developers, and support their effort in
83 > joining.
84
85 If they can legally be a developer, they should be able to legally be a
86 member. Recruiters should be providing more support all around IMHO.
87 Which present recruiters may be doing now, a comment from past interactions.
88
89 > However, I oppose making it obligatory or giving special privileges to
90 > Foundation members.
91
92 There would likely never be special privileges. Just a vote.
93
94 > As long as there is no lawful reason to require
95 > anyone to be a Foundation member to do X, I don't think we should
96 > enforce that. And unless I'm mistaken, not even Trustees are legally
97 >
98 > required to be members of the Foundation (modulo current Bylaws):
99 > | Directors need not be residents of New Mexico or members of
100 > | the corporation unless the articles of incorporation or the bylaws
101 > | so require.
102 >
103 > http://www.sos.state.nm.us/uploads/files/Corporations/ch53Art8.pdf
104
105 That would mean if a Developer who opted out of Foundation membership could
106 still run and be elected as a Trustee. Which would likely give them
107 membership, opt them back in.
110 > Single pool of voters
111 > =====================
112 >
113 > I agree that having two disjoint pools of voters for two important
114 > boards running Gentoo might be bad. However, following the point made
115 > above I don't think that Foundation membership should be relevant to
116 > the ability to vote.
117 >
118 > Therefore, I think it would be best if both the Council and Trustees
119 > were elected by active Gentoo developers, in a manner consistent with
120 > how Council is elected nowadays.
121
122 It could be best, but could also result in a insiders only club.
123
124 > This removes the current Foundation members who are not developers from
125 > the voter pool. I'm sorry but I believe it's more appropriate that
126 > people who actively develop Gentoo (and have proven to understand its
127 > the organizational structure via passing the quizzes) get a vote
128 > in deciding how Gentoo is run.
129
130 I think it is a big mistake to limit things to Developers only. I am not
131 aware of any Developers with say a legal background. What if members of the
132 community do? Should they really be excluded?
133
134 Developers do not always know best, and are not versed in all fields. This is a
135 close minded approach to only allowing a voice from within. Also what does it
136 say to the community?
137
138 There could be users of Gentoo who have more experience than new developers.
139 Their experience or patronage matters not? Who cares what you develop if no
140 one uses it, it does not really matter does it?
141
142 > While I believe it's important to remember the history of Gentoo
143 > and acknowledge past contributions to it, I don't think that solely
144 > past contributions should imply the ability to decide (however
145 > indirectly) how Gentoo is run nowadays.
146
147 A day will come when you may not contribute anymore. Does that mean all your
148 past contributions immediately become worthless? Does that mean your
149 experience in the project did not result in any wisdom you could share with
150 others?
153 > Merged Council and Trustees
154 > ===========================
155 >
156 > I find this one a really bad idea. I believe that both of these boards
157 > have different goals and therefore require different qualities from
158 > people forming them.
159
160 I agree, do not merge, just have them work together but separate agendas and
161 duties.
162
163 > As I see it, Trustees focus on legal and financial matters,
164 > and therefore it is important that they have good knowledge of laws
165 > applying to the Foundation and/or accounting. It is likely beneficial
166 > for a Trustee to be a resident of the USA, and (as has been pointed
167 > out) probably not everyone is legally entitled to be one.
168
169 The President and several have resided outside the US. I think its more a
170 requirement for Officers than Trustees to be in the US.
171
172 > Council, on the other hand, focuses on technical (and quasi-social)
173 > matters. It's important for Council members to be capable of good
174 > judgment both on technical and community matters, and being able to
175 > provide resolutions that are beneficial to the community. The location
176 > is pretty much irrelevant here, and the role could be considered
177 > informal by many.
178
179 Council also needs to work with Trustees to ensure such is not taking on legal
180 liability.
181
182 > Now, merging the two institutions would create a board that has a wider
183 > range of responsibilities, and require all of these qualities together.
184 > I'm not convinced this will work for us.
185
186 It would not and would be bad. Plus a much bigger change and be much more
187 contestable with many more issues.
188
189 > Summary
190 > =======
191 >
192 > To be honest, I don't really know what problem is being solved here.
193 > The only problem I've been able to notice so far was the possible
194 > disagreement between the voter pool for the Council and Trustees which
195 > I think we can merge without any drastic measures.
196
197 Most do not understand the problems, the liability issues, or how
198 organizations are organized. This is some what a result of the over all issue.
199 It is a strange structure that leads to confusion. It does not lead to
200 Trustees and Council working together on matters.
201
202 > However, I disagree that merging the pools would result in Council
203 > and Trustees getting implicitly merged. They would still have
204 > different areas of responsibility and required qualities, and therefore
205 > the developers are still likely to find different people appropriate.
206 >
207 > That said, I don't have an opinion on disallowing a single person from
208 > being on both boards. I don't think it's strictly necessary for any
209 > body in Gentoo as long as the relevant person is going to respectfully
210 > withdraw his vote when a potential conflict of interest arises.
211
212 There is issue with someone being on both Trustees and Council. For reasons of
213 liability and other. I was a big proponent of provisions in the by laws to not
214 allow such. I would strongly oppose it.
215
216 If for no other reason than someone wearing to hats for top level entities
217 will end up neglecting one if they are short on time. Neither Council nor
218 Trustees should ever be neglected. Therefore someone should never be on both.
219 You are splitting your time and focus and that should not happen.
220
221 > I have yet to see the final proposal to throw my vote but I already
222 > start to dislike the direction it is heading towards. With no good
223 > rationale, and no good problem statement it seems like a change for
224 > the sake of changing things and/or replacing people.
225
226 Keep something in mind. Trustees could, not saying they would, change legal
227 and structure aspects of Gentoo with no opposition. If you were not happy, if
228 you are not a member of the Foundation as it stands now. You could do nothing
229 legally, Nor could the council or anyone.
230
231 Acting like the Foundation is just a steward is a misnomer. It is good the
232 Trustees are seeking feedback and approval but they are not legally required
233 to do such. Once elected they do have legal authority to enact their will.
234
235 Thus it is really in everyone's best interest to take part in the Foundation.
236 Help unify and correct this logical separation. Get the two entities working
237 together and Gentoo moving along :)
240 William L. Thomson Jr.