From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:46:55
1 Hi, all.
2
3 Since this is getting quite exhaustive, here's my point on the proposal
4 as it is hinted now, and a counter-proposal.
5
6 TL;DR:
7
8 1. I do not mind encouraging more developers to join the Foundation, or
9 even making it opt-out. However, I do oppose discriminating developers
10 who decide not to join the Foundation.
11
12 2. I agree on having a single pool of voters. However, I believe those
13 should be limited to active Gentoo developers, independently of
14 Foundation membership.
15
16 3. I don't think merging the Council and Trustees is a good idea.
17 The two projects have divergent goals and different qualities expected
18 from members.
19
20 Long rationale below.
23 Foundation membership
24 =====================
25
26 First of all, I'd like to point out how I see the 'problem' of many
27 developers not being part of the Foundation. I think that in most
28 cases, it's just a matter of 'simplicity': why would I bother joining
29 Gentoo Foundation if it does not affect my Gentoo work?
30
31 I think that many Gentoo developers, especially foreigners, have
32 serious doubts about implications of being a Foundation member. Even if
33 elaborate US lawyers can claim otherwise, we're talking about local law
34 here, and for example I had enough of the law without having to wonder
35 about the implications of formal foreign non-profit corporation
36 membership.
37
38 So if anyone thinks that developers not being Foundation members are
39 a problem, then I think it's best solved by spreading more information
40 about the Foundation and encouragement, not attempting to force people
41 in.
42
43 If you believe that it is legally safe for any foreigner to be
44 a Foundation member, then I think it'd be reasonable for recruiters (or
45 mentors) to propose that to new developers, and support their effort in
46 joining.
47
48 However, I oppose making it obligatory or giving special privileges to
49 Foundation members. As long as there is no lawful reason to require
50 anyone to be a Foundation member to do X, I don't think we should
51 enforce that. And unless I'm mistaken, not even Trustees are legally
52 required to be members of the Foundation (modulo current Bylaws):
53
54 | Directors need not be residents of New Mexico or members of
55 | the corporation unless the articles of incorporation or the bylaws
56 | so require.
57
58 http://www.sos.state.nm.us/uploads/files/Corporations/ch53Art8.pdf
61 Single pool of voters
62 =====================
63
64 I agree that having two disjoint pools of voters for two important
65 boards running Gentoo might be bad. However, following the point made
66 above I don't think that Foundation membership should be relevant to
67 the ability to vote.
68
69 Therefore, I think it would be best if both the Council and Trustees
70 were elected by active Gentoo developers, in a manner consistent with
71 how Council is elected nowadays.
72
73 This removes the current Foundation members who are not developers from
74 the voter pool. I'm sorry but I believe it's more appropriate that
75 people who actively develop Gentoo (and have proven to understand its
76 the organizational structure via passing the quizzes) get a vote
77 in deciding how Gentoo is run.
78
79 While I believe it's important to remember the history of Gentoo
80 and acknowledge past contributions to it, I don't think that solely
81 past contributions should imply the ability to decide (however
82 indirectly) how Gentoo is run nowadays.
85 Merged Council and Trustees
86 ===========================
87
88 I find this one a really bad idea. I believe that both of these boards
89 have different goals and therefore require different qualities from
90 people forming them.
91
92 As I see it, Trustees focus on legal and financial matters,
93 and therefore it is important that they have good knowledge of laws
94 applying to the Foundation and/or accounting. It is likely beneficial
95 for a Trustee to be a resident of the USA, and (as has been pointed
96 out) probably not everyone is legally entitled to be one.
97
98 Council, on the other hand, focuses on technical (and quasi-social)
99 matters. It's important for Council members to be capable of good
100 judgment both on technical and community matters, and being able to
101 provide resolutions that are beneficial to the community. The location
102 is pretty much irrelevant here, and the role could be considered
103 informal by many.
104
105 Now, merging the two institutions would create a board that has a wider
106 range of responsibilities, and require all of these qualities together.
107 I'm not convinced this will work for us.
108
109 In particular, I see the following potential problems:
110
111 1. Some developers will reject nominations to the Board because of
112 legal implications (either inability to be formally a director, or just
113 lack of qualities needed for a Trustee) even though they would
114 otherwise be elected Council members. You can find these developers in
115 the current Council.
116
117 2. The board will have to have members competent in law and/or
118 accounting. It is possible that those members will lack the skills
119 necessary for Council, yet they would have the same vote on
120 Council-relevant matters.
121
122 3. In a pathological case, the voting could result in the board having
123 no members competent in Trustee business (i.e. purely Council-like
124 board). What will happen then?
125
126 I don't think those issues could be solved without splitting the board
127 further. And once we start splitting it, we get back to where we are
128 now, so why are we changing anything?
131 Summary
132 =======
133
134 To be honest, I don't really know what problem is being solved here.
135 The only problem I've been able to notice so far was the possible
136 disagreement between the voter pool for the Council and Trustees which
137 I think we can merge without any drastic measures.
138
139 However, I disagree that merging the pools would result in Council
140 and Trustees getting implicitly merged. They would still have
141 different areas of responsibility and required qualities, and therefore
142 the developers are still likely to find different people appropriate.
143
144 That said, I don't have an opinion on disallowing a single person from
145 being on both boards. I don't think it's strictly necessary for any
146 body in Gentoo as long as the relevant person is going to respectfully
147 withdraw his vote when a potential conflict of interest arises.
148
149 I have yet to see the final proposal to throw my vote but I already
150 start to dislike the direction it is heading towards. With no good
151 rationale, and no good problem statement it seems like a change for
152 the sake of changing things and/or replacing people.
155 Best regards,
156 Michał Górny
157 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>