From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council agenda for 8/13
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 21:30:32
1 On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 1:46 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 08/08/2017 09:49 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > >
5 > > All,
6 > >
7 > > here is the council agenda for 8/13:
8 > >
9 > > 1. roll call
10 > >
11 > > 2. decide whether the kernel team can stabilize minor releases on their
12 > > own once the arch teams have stabilized a major release [1].
13 > >
14 > > 3. open bugs with council involvement
15 > >
16 > > 4. open floor
17 > >
18 > > Thanks,
19 > >
20 > > William
21 > >
22 > > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Kernel#Kernel_stabilization
23 > >
24 > I would like the council to consider clarifying the text found in the
25 > devmanual regarding revision bumps. [1] At present, the text indicates
26 > that in general we don't want to touch ebuilds that have hit stable.
27 > However, there are exceptions that are not explicitly laid out, that
28 > some of us expect other developers to "just understand", despite a
29 > complete lack of documentation. Developers can't be expected to follow
30 > policy that isn't clear. "Use your best judgment" isn't good enough when
31 > a developer gets berated for using it.
32 >
33 > Thus, I would ask the council to answer this one question: When is it
34 > acceptable to correct an ebuild that has already gotten stable keywords?
35 > If more intrepid developers would like to make a flow chart or other
36 > guided aid, that'd be even better.
39 My two cents:
40
41 * I've heard a few times that once an ebuild hits the tree it is to be
42 considered immutable until deletion. Concerns were raised at the time
43 regarding cache coherency and metadata and so on and the impression was
44 given that, apart from stabilizing and keywording, tinkering with ebuilds
45 in place was a major no-no stable or not.
46
47 * There's a couple of questions on the dev quiz that seem related to this
48 issue. If any documentation is added or updated, I'd like the dev quiz to
49 be checked for any needed updates.
52 > This was the cause of a recent kerfuffle and I'd like to prevent it from
53 > happening again. Thank you for your time.
54 >
55 > ~zlg
56 >
57 > [1]:
58 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/ebuild-revisions/index.html
59 > --
60 > Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
61 > OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
62 > fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6