From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council agenda for 8/13
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 20:47:16
1 On 08/08/2017 09:49 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >
3 > All,
4 >
5 > here is the council agenda for 8/13:
6 >
7 > 1. roll call
8 >
9 > 2. decide whether the kernel team can stabilize minor releases on their
10 > own once the arch teams have stabilized a major release [1].
11 >
12 > 3. open bugs with council involvement
13 >
14 > 4. open floor
15 >
16 > Thanks,
17 >
18 > William
19 >
20 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Kernel#Kernel_stabilization
21 >
22 I would like the council to consider clarifying the text found in the
23 devmanual regarding revision bumps. [1] At present, the text indicates
24 that in general we don't want to touch ebuilds that have hit stable.
25 However, there are exceptions that are not explicitly laid out, that
26 some of us expect other developers to "just understand", despite a
27 complete lack of documentation. Developers can't be expected to follow
28 policy that isn't clear. "Use your best judgment" isn't good enough when
29 a developer gets berated for using it.
30
31 Thus, I would ask the council to answer this one question: When is it
32 acceptable to correct an ebuild that has already gotten stable keywords?
33 If more intrepid developers would like to make a flow chart or other
34 guided aid, that'd be even better.
35
36 This was the cause of a recent kerfuffle and I'd like to prevent it from
37 happening again. Thank you for your time.
38
39 ~zlg
40
41 [1]:
42 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/ebuild-revisions/index.html
43 --
44 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
45 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
46 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6