From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council agenda for 8/13
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 21:41:01
1 On wto, 2017-08-08 at 13:46 -0700, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 08/08/2017 09:49 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > >
4 > > All,
5 > >
6 > > here is the council agenda for 8/13:
7 > >
8 > > 1. roll call
9 > >
10 > > 2. decide whether the kernel team can stabilize minor releases on their
11 > > own once the arch teams have stabilized a major release [1].
12 > >
13 > > 3. open bugs with council involvement
14 > >
15 > > 4. open floor
16 > >
17 > > Thanks,
18 > >
19 > > William
20 > >
21 > > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Kernel#Kernel_stabilization
24 > I would like the council to consider clarifying the text found in the
25 > devmanual regarding revision bumps. [1] At present, the text indicates
26 > that in general we don't want to touch ebuilds that have hit stable.
27 > However, there are exceptions that are not explicitly laid out, that
28 > some of us expect other developers to "just understand", despite a
29 > complete lack of documentation. Developers can't be expected to follow
30 > policy that isn't clear. "Use your best judgment" isn't good enough when
31 > a developer gets berated for using it.
32 >
33 > Thus, I would ask the council to answer this one question: When is it
34 > acceptable to correct an ebuild that has already gotten stable keywords?
35 > If more intrepid developers would like to make a flow chart or other
36 > guided aid, that'd be even better.
39 This is a matter for QA, and there are patches for devmanual with a more
40 detailed policy in review already
41
42 Besides, flow charts won't replace common sense. They will only serve as
43 an excuse to abuse the policy against the spirit it was written on.
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny