From: Louis Sautier <sbraz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] GLEP-0076's "committer's Legal name" vs international names
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 19:30:33
1 On 21/05/2021 20:50, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've recently seen a bug [1] where a contributer was implicitly told
5 > that their name wasn't their "full name".
6 >
7 > GLEP-0076 states "The sign-off must contain the committer's legal name
8 > as a natural person, i.e., the name that would appear in a government
9 > issued document."
10 >
11 > If the person has multiple government-issued documents that don't
12 > exactly match, but ARE a form accepted by the issuing government, then
13 > Gentoo SHOULD accept them, and clearly document known forms (probably in
14 > an appendix to the GLEP).
15 >
16 > I'd like this the GLEP text I cited above, to be changed to:
17 > "The sign-off must contain the committer's legal name as a natural
18 > person, i.e., the name that would appear in a government issued
19 > document, in the commonly used form for that committer. (See Appendix
20 > for examples)"
21 >
22 > Population groups around the world have different naming schemes, this
23 > include such things as first-name only (no surname), multiple legal
24 > names. A longer list is available at "Falsehoods Programmers Believe
25 > About Names" [2]
26 >
27 > I'm going to contribute the first examples for the Appendix here, based
28 > on cases I'm recently aware of.
29 >
30 > Canada: French-Canadian Names
31 > -----------------------------
32 > Catholic naming practices [3] may mean that a person has additional first
33 > names [4] that appear in SOME of their government issued documentation,
34 > but not all documentation.
35 > E.g. "Jean Chrétien", former Canadian prime minster has a birth
36 > certificate and some ID that use "Joseph Jacques Jean Chrétien",
37 > while other ID uses "Jean Chrétien".
40 It looks similar to France:
41
42 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_name#Given_names
43
44 > French people have one, two or more given names (first names). One of
45 them (nowadays almost always the first, in the past often the last) is
46 used in daily life (but someone can also choose a usage name that was
47 not given); the others are solely for official documents, such as
48 passport, birth, death and marriage certificates.
49
50 I am pretty sure that most French Gentoo contributors have several given
51 names but only sign off using their first given names and last names. We
52 do not usually want to share our second or third given names.
53
54 > India:
55 > ------
56 > India, as a diverse country, has a variety of naming schemes [5], and
57 > differing government ID rules [6] applied to those names. Notably, it
58 > is common for parts of names to be written with initials on some
59 > forms of ID, particularly where the initial is used to shorten a
60 > specific known word (e.g. village name), such as "E.V. Ramasamy".
61 >
62 > Indonesia:
63 > ----------
64 > It is possible to have only a single name (Mononymic), and no
65 > surname. e.g. "Suharto"
66 >
67 > [1] not linked because it's presently redacted at the request of the
68 > person that opened it
69 > [2]https://shinesolutions.com/2018/01/08/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names-with-examples/
70 > [3] Canada names:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_name#French_Canadian_names
71 > [4] Canada Example:https://www.richmond-news.com/local-news/richmond-resident-fighting-icbc-over-catholic-first-names-3674843
72 > [5] Indian names:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_name
73 > [6] India Example:https://scroll.in/latest/833897/people-with-initials-special-characters-in-their-names-face-problems-linking-their-pan-and-aadhaar
74 > [7] Indonesian names:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_names#Mononymic_names

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature