From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Improvements to the About Gentoo page
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 07:08:56
1 On 2/23/11 2:22 AM, Angelo Arrifano wrote:
2 > IMHO, that's a very good point. I just inserted a paragraph saying just
3 > that. Please everyone concerned have a look.
4 >
5 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~miknix/about.xml
6
7 I'd suggest to remove this part: "Gentoo's package manager provides
8 everything you would expect and more - like the ability to apply custom
9 patches and customize the compilation flags. Customizing compilation
10 flags to match your hardware can slightly decrease memory usage and
11 execution times of your system, nonetheless it is debatable if longer
12 install times are actually worth the small speed improvements they
13 provide. Compilation time isn't usually a problem for modern hardware,
14 since it can compile regular software in a few minutes. For bigger
15 software like openoffice, we also provide binary packages so you don't
16 have to spend hours compiling it :)" (especially the smiley).
17
18 Instead of custom patches (which most of people don't apply anyway I
19 think) and custom CFLAGS (easy way to hose the system), how about
20 emphasizing more flexible dependencies? Say that because we build from
21 source, we can enable or disable package's optional dependencies, and
22 put the user in control.
23
24 Also, the style still is a bit ugly, i.e. the distance between the
25 questions and the answers.