From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Improvements to the About Gentoo page
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:39:50
1 On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:08 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > Instead of custom patches (which most of people don't apply anyway I
4 > think)
5
6 Perhaps ok to drop, but you gotta admit that no other distro makes
7 this as easy to do as Gentoo, without causing problems (beyond
8 whatever your patches do).
9
10 > and custom CFLAGS (easy way to hose the system)
11
12 Yet probably 80% of our users use them, I'm guessing. They also
13 provide significant performance boosts, especially on x86 where half
14 of the other distros still build everything for vanilla i386. I think
15 that pulling this out really does remove something that makes Gentoo
16 distinctive.
17
18 > how about
19 > emphasizing more flexible dependencies? Say that because we build from
20 > source, we can enable or disable package's optional dependencies, and
21 > put the user in control.
22
23 Agreed that this is a big thing.
24
25 All three of those features really touch on the fact that Gentoo puts
26 the user in control, when they want to be in control, and yet Gentoo
27 takes care of all the other stuff on its own when the user doesn't
28 need this control.
29
30 That said, I don't think we need to have a paragraph worth of the pros
31 and cons of custom CFLAGs. I'd just talk about how Gentoo puts users
32 in control with the ability to apply patches, optimize CFLAGs, and
33 strip unnecessary dependencies. Go ahead and mention that binary
34 packages are available for large packages for users who have slower
35 systems. I'd drop all the stuff about the pros/cons of actually
36 taking advantage of any of those features - save that for some other
37 page for people who actually are going to start tweaking their
38 systems.