From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Improvements to the About Gentoo page
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 07:30:54
1 On 2/23/11 1:39 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:08 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
3 > <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Instead of custom patches (which most of people don't apply anyway I
5 >> think)
6 >
7 > Perhaps ok to drop, but you gotta admit that no other distro makes
8 > this as easy to do as Gentoo, without causing problems (beyond
9 > whatever your patches do).
10
11 Good point. Yeah, that's one of the things I like a lot in Gentoo.
12
13 >> and custom CFLAGS (easy way to hose the system)
14 >
15 > Yet probably 80% of our users use them, I'm guessing. They also
16 > provide significant performance boosts, especially on x86 where half
17 > of the other distros still build everything for vanilla i386. I think
18 > that pulling this out really does remove something that makes Gentoo
19 > distinctive.
20
21 Makes sense. On the other hand, we should avoid as much as possible
22 creating an impression of crazy racers who will compile things for hours
23 to squeeze out a few milliseconds.
24
25 > All three of those features really touch on the fact that Gentoo puts
26 > the user in control, when they want to be in control, and yet Gentoo
27 > takes care of all the other stuff on its own when the user doesn't
28 > need this control.
29
30 Yeah.
31
32 > That said, I don't think we need to have a paragraph worth of the pros
33 > and cons of custom CFLAGs. I'd just talk about how Gentoo puts users
34 > in control with the ability to apply patches, optimize CFLAGs, and
35 > strip unnecessary dependencies. Go ahead and mention that binary
36 > packages are available for large packages for users who have slower
37 > systems. I'd drop all the stuff about the pros/cons of actually
38 > taking advantage of any of those features - save that for some other
39 > page for people who actually are going to start tweaking their
40 > systems.
41
42 Okay, I think it can be done. We should just avoid overpromising, and it
43 should be fine.