From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Improvements to the About Gentoo page
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:06:23
1 On Qui, 2011-02-24 at 08:29 +0100, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > On 2/23/11 1:39 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:08 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
4 > > <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> Instead of custom patches (which most of people don't apply anyway I
6 > >> think)
7 > >
8 > > Perhaps ok to drop, but you gotta admit that no other distro makes
9 > > this as easy to do as Gentoo, without causing problems (beyond
10 > > whatever your patches do).
11 >
12 > Good point. Yeah, that's one of the things I like a lot in Gentoo.
13
14 Maybe not drop then, so I'll try to squeeze it a little.
15 >
16 > >> and custom CFLAGS (easy way to hose the system)
17
18 People have to learn it somehow, no? I remember when I first starting
19 using Gentoo, I only started caring about sane optimizations when
20 Mozilla (which at the time didn't filter CFLAGS) started exhibit crashes
21 and regular instability. Still, CFLAGS are for sure important when
22 working with devices with limite resources.
23 > >
24 > > Yet probably 80% of our users use them, I'm guessing. They also
25 > > provide significant performance boosts, especially on x86 where half
26 > > of the other distros still build everything for vanilla i386. I think
27 > > that pulling this out really does remove something that makes Gentoo
28 > > distinctive.
29
30 +1
31 >
32 > Makes sense. On the other hand, we should avoid as much as possible
33 > creating an impression of crazy racers who will compile things for hours
34 > to squeeze out a few milliseconds.
35
36 Well.. LOL. If you receive a brand new Mustang which you can disassemble
37 and have total freedom of tunning for more performance, what will you
38 do? I think its the same with new Gentoo users, they are totally free of
39 changing CFLAGS, so heck! Why not?
40 I think we all were crazy racers at the beginning, but for sure now we
41 just want the system to run stable.
42 >
43 > > All three of those features really touch on the fact that Gentoo puts
44 > > the user in control, when they want to be in control, and yet Gentoo
45 > > takes care of all the other stuff on its own when the user doesn't
46 > > need this control.
47 >
48 > Yeah.
49 >
50 > > That said, I don't think we need to have a paragraph worth of the pros
51 > > and cons of custom CFLAGs. I'd just talk about how Gentoo puts users
52 > > in control with the ability to apply patches, optimize CFLAGs, and
53 > > strip unnecessary dependencies. Go ahead and mention that binary
54 > > packages are available for large packages for users who have slower
55 > > systems. I'd drop all the stuff about the pros/cons of actually
56 > > taking advantage of any of those features - save that for some other
57 > > page for people who actually are going to start tweaking their
58 > > systems.
59 >
60 > Okay, I think it can be done. We should just avoid overpromising, and it
61 > should be fine.
62 >
63 I'll then try to squeeze the paragraph a little and append a line on how
64 tunning compilation flags (read USE) helps stripping dependencies (which
65 reduces memory usage and improves security).
66
67 Thanks
68 --
69 Angelo Arrifano (miknix)