From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 07:20:56
1 On Tue, 2019-04-09 at 22:07 -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 09, 2019 at 09:58:39PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 > > On 4/9/19 6:49 PM, Chris Reffett wrote:
4 > > > (Picking one thread to reply to, but this applies to the discussion as a
5 > > > whole)
6 > > >
7 > >
8 > > Same. This is a tough one.
9 > >
10 > > I don't care much at all about the copyright angle. Copyright has always
11 > > been a fundamentally inconsistent concept. We all violate copyright law
12 > > millions of times a day, and there's no way to avoid that in modern
13 > > society. This campaign is simply doing what everyone else does in that
14 > > regard: pretend we give a shit, so people don't see us as heretics. The
15 > > fact that we've gotten ourselves into a logical pickle here is not
16 > > unexpected given that we're trying to play a game that doesn't make any
17 > > sense. I'll sleep fine either way.
18 > >
19 > > What I do care about is that ultimately the only form of trust our users
20 > > have is based on our reputations. I'm a real person: you can search for
21 > > my name, find out where I work, who my friends are, call my girlfriend
22 > > and tell her I suck. That's *not* what's keeping me from committing a
23 > > backdoor to Gentoo. But that *is* why you trust me not to do it. I have
24 > > a few simplified-to-the-point-of-absurdity computer security rules, one
25 > > of which goes like "don't run code from anyone you can't find and punch
26 > > in the face." To that end, not having a real identity associated with a
27 > > developer account is troubling.
28 > >
29 > > But, of course, I like having our pseudonymous contributors around
30 > > fixing stuff too.
34 > We all violate laws everyday too, but that doesn't mean the cop won't
35 > stop you for speeding and then do the same when he is off duty.
38 Now that's an insulting generalization, Sir!
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny