From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 02:07:51
1 On Tue, Apr 09, 2019 at 09:58:39PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 4/9/19 6:49 PM, Chris Reffett wrote:
3 > >
4 > > (Picking one thread to reply to, but this applies to the discussion as a
5 > > whole)
8 > Same. This is a tough one.
9 >
10 > I don't care much at all about the copyright angle. Copyright has always
11 > been a fundamentally inconsistent concept. We all violate copyright law
12 > millions of times a day, and there's no way to avoid that in modern
13 > society. This campaign is simply doing what everyone else does in that
14 > regard: pretend we give a shit, so people don't see us as heretics. The
15 > fact that we've gotten ourselves into a logical pickle here is not
16 > unexpected given that we're trying to play a game that doesn't make any
17 > sense. I'll sleep fine either way.
18 >
19 > What I do care about is that ultimately the only form of trust our users
20 > have is based on our reputations. I'm a real person: you can search for
21 > my name, find out where I work, who my friends are, call my girlfriend
22 > and tell her I suck. That's *not* what's keeping me from committing a
23 > backdoor to Gentoo. But that *is* why you trust me not to do it. I have
24 > a few simplified-to-the-point-of-absurdity computer security rules, one
25 > of which goes like "don't run code from anyone you can't find and punch
26 > in the face." To that end, not having a real identity associated with a
27 > developer account is troubling.
28 >
29 > But, of course, I like having our pseudonymous contributors around
30 > fixing stuff too.
34 We all violate laws everyday too, but that doesn't mean the cop won't
35 stop you for speeding and then do the same when he is off duty.
36
37 It is a crazy world we live in.
40 Cheers,
41 Aaron